Hippo tang developed large white lesions

barry28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. Recently noticed my hippo going up to a few fish and emerald crabs almost looking to get cleaned. I turned the whites on to get a better look and saw these lesions. They seem to be white in color. On Tuesday there was one by a fin and it wasn’t using that fin. That has cleared up and functional but the lesions have got way worse in other areas on both sides. It’s constantly rubbing on the rocks probably making it worse. Just looking to see what everyone thinks it is and what my options are. Thank you.
Also leaving for a three day vacation tomorrow so awful timing.

90 gallon reef, 1.5 years old, hippo had ich a year ago, bicolor angel, bicolor blenny, Bangai cardinals, two clowns, 2 emerald crabs are in the tank. Red Sea coral pro salt, battling bubble algae bad

IMG_9334.png IMG_9333.png IMG_9332.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I saw the right side, I was thinking flukes, but the larger lesion on the left side is something else. It could be a skin infection from scratching due to flukes.

I think a Prazipro treatment would be something to try - 2x, 8 days apart with good aeration. That won’t help if there is a secondary infection, but maybe that will heal on its own if the flukes are dealt with.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back