Hippo tang not doing well. Lesions, missing half of fin, odd spots showing up

barry28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. Hippo tang has been going through some stuff the last few weeks. Started with large lesions on its sides and one fin is half gone. Now some new spots have showed up. Running stress guard but looking for some guidance to what this could be. Was healthy eating and swimming up until two days ago. Now goes to dead spots in the tank and just sits there. It will still eat very little. Any chance the emerald crabs are going after it at night when it’s tucked into the rocks? Also did a treatment of prazi pro two weeks ago thinking it may have been flukes because it was rubbing on the rocks. Thank you

Currently in a 90 gallon with a bicolor blenny, 2 cardinals and two emerald crabs .

IMG_9549.jpeg IMG_9332.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all. Hippo tang has been going through some stuff the last few weeks. Started with large lesions on its sides and one fin is half gone. Now some new spots have showed up. Running stress guard but looking for some guidance to what this could be. Was healthy eating and swimming up until two days ago. Now goes to dead spots in the tank and just sits there. It will still eat very little. Any chance the emerald crabs are going after it at night when it’s tucked into the rocks? Also did a treatment of prazi pro two weeks ago thinking it may have been flukes because it was rubbing on the rocks. Thank you

Currently in a 90 gallon with a bicolor blenny, 2 cardinals and two emerald crabs .

IMG_9549.jpeg IMG_9332.png
Looks like either bites or what I suspect- sting or puncture wounds. Do you by chance have an urchin in the tank?
If not, can be either anemone or injury from diving into rocks which they often do and may potentially become a bacterial issue.
This issue will require treatment in a separate quarantine tank treated with seachem Kanaplex or maracyn 2 with added aeration and paying attention to water qualiy with a reliable ammonia test kit

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back