White lesion on Blenny

Jajo1390

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Tried searching but haven't found anything similar to this.

I've had this Midas Blenny for several months, he's in a 20g with a pair of clowns, haven't seen any fighting and the clowns are doing great. About 2 weeks ago he developed a small white lesion on the side, it looked like what I would assume to be a scratch from the rockwork. Definitely does not appear to be Ich. Over the last week or so this has grown significantly, though I'm wondering if it is just healing and forming a blister... or if this is some sort of parasite.

He's a rapid swimmer so tough to get super clear shots.

He is otherwise doing great, no changes in personality, activity, and still eating like an absolute champ. He was <1 inch when I picked him up and he's grown a LOT. Water parameters are good, mixed reef tank.

Went through 3 week QT, did not pre-medicate with anything just observation when I first picked him up.

I should note, he has no other spots, blemishes or lesions anywhere. Anything else you see in the pictures (black spots) is from the tank glass.

Any thoughts?

IMG_8158.jpeg IMG_8157.jpeg IMG_8156.jpeg IMG_8155.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I've had this Midas Blenny for several months, he's in a 20g with a pair of clowns, haven't seen any fighting and the clowns are doing great. About 2 weeks ago he developed a small white lesion on the side, it looked like what I would assume to be a scratch from the rockwork. Definitely does not appear to be Ich. Over the last week or so this has grown significantly, though I'm wondering if it is just healing and forming a blister... or if this is some sort of parasite.

He is otherwise doing great, no changes in personality, activity, and still eating like an absolute champ. He was <1 inch when I picked him up and he's grown a LOT. Water parameters are good, mixed reef tank.

Went through 3 week QT, did not pre-medicate with anything just observation when I first picked him up.

I should note, he has no other spots, blemishes or lesions anywhere. Anything else you see in the pictures (black spots) is from the tank glass.

Any thoughts?

This is post injury and either a bite mark or contact with object
Keep an eye on it for healing but may need attention using ruby rally pro in tank or seachem neoplex in a treatment tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any thoughts?

That does look like an injury, but growing in size as you noted indicates that it has gotten infected. Do you have a treatment tank? If so, you could use a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex. In the display itself, there is little you can do to stop the infection (but the fish may overcome it by itself).

Jay

OP
OP
J

Jajo1390

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like an injury, but growing in size as you noted indicates that it has gotten infected. Do you have a treatment tank? If so, you could use a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex. In the display itself, there is little you can do to stop the infection (but the fish may overcome it by itself).

Jay

Thanks!

I do have a treatment tank and Neoplex. Figured it would be prudent to treat for something, but this is reassuring that bacterial would be more likely. A parasite that size would really creep me out.

Appreciate the help

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back