Hippo tang discolored/sunken face

Baconforbreakfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired a few fish, the tank had been neglected for some time. Once i got them out i noticed the hippo tang has a mark on its face almost like tissue is missing. Its pale for sure but the face really stands out. It is in a qt tank right now and i am hoping someone could direct me to a specific tx for the little guy.
20211014_202628.jpg
20211014_202636.jpg

OP
OP
Baconforbreakfast

Baconforbreakfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can see, this is just really severe case of HLLE, there may not be a secondary bacterial infection. If not, then the fish will do fine just given a new environment and good diet, but the HLLE scars will likely never go away.

Jay
Thank you Jay. Thats good news, i was hoping for something i could manage. He ate like a pig just now and is moving around well. I will keep updating as i go, i appreciate everyones help so far.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baconforbreakfast

Baconforbreakfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update:

salinity is 1.025 finally

He is eating everything i put in the tank, still waiting on the mailman for a more diverse diet and selcon but till then maintaining LRS reef, tdo pellets and formula 2 flakes or green seaweed 2-5 times a day.

Water changes is keeping the ammonia and nitrates at 0 (or what i believe is 0).

A few new photos that shows some detail. It almost looks like small pores above the eye? His overall color is already less pale, but still concerned about the patch. No other observations to report.

20211018_141359.jpg
20211018_141404.jpg

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update:

salinity is 1.025 finally

He is eating everything i put in the tank, still waiting on the mailman for a more diverse diet and selcon but till then maintaining LRS reef, tdo pellets and formula 2 flakes or green seaweed 2-5 times a day.

Water changes is keeping the ammonia and nitrates at 0 (or what i believe is 0).

A few new photos that shows some detail. It almost looks like small pores above the eye? His overall color is already less pale, but still concerned about the patch. No other observations to report.

20211018_141359.jpg
20211018_141404.jpg
I don’t see any sign of bacterial infection, so I think you should just continue working the diet angle and avoid carbon filtration.
Jay

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back