Hippo Tang Scars Won't Heal...Any Advice?

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I've had this little guy with me since June 2023. When first introduced, he came down with either a few lympho spots or mucus plugs and gave me quite the ich scare despite coming quarantined from TSM aquatics. Those spots healed up pretty quickly, but the poor fish did get pretty banged up darting in and out of rocks as he was very nervous the first couple weeks in my tank. Almost every morning I'd look in the tank to find he would have a new scrape or mark on him. Once he finally got comfortable, this skittish behavior went away and I haven't seen any new injuries on him in over 6 months. The only two areas that never fully healed are on his black band and show up as 2 light discolorations. They're not raised (or sunken) at all and he doesn't scratch or seem bothered by them. It looks like two areas where the pigment was just rubbed off him. I've done my best to get them to heal, but they look exactly like they did the day they first appeared last summer. Depending on the lighting, they can be super obvious or barely apparent at all.

I feed Rods food, Larry's Reef frenzy, mysis shrimp, spirulina shrimp, fish eggs, marine cuisine, emerald entree, New life spectrum pellets (4 different varieties) , green seaweed, purple seaweed, seaweed extreme pellets. I don't feed all of these every single day obviously, but this is the selection of foods he gets regularly. I soak foods in Vitachem and Selcon on occasion as well but have yet to see an improvement in these areas. I can't imagine a diet that is more varied than I currently give him lol

Could these just be permanent scars? Or do these things sometimes tank months to years to heal?

Any advice appreciated!

IMG_0911.jpeg IMG_0910.jpeg IMG_0909.jpeg IMG_0908.jpeg IMG_1330.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone,
I've had this little guy with me since June 2023. When first introduced, he came down with either a few lympho spots or mucus plugs and gave me quite the ich scare despite coming quarantined from TSM aquatics. Those spots healed up pretty quickly, but the poor fish did get pretty banged up darting in and out of rocks as he was very nervous the first couple weeks in my tank. Almost every morning I'd look in the tank to find he would have a new scrape or mark on him. Once he finally got comfortable, this skittish behavior went away and I haven't seen any new injuries on him in over 6 months. The only two areas that never fully healed are on his black band and show up as 2 light discolorations. They're not raised (or sunken) at all and he doesn't scratch or seem bothered by them. It looks like two areas where the pigment was just rubbed off him. I've done my best to get them to heal, but they look exactly like they did the day they first appeared last summer. Depending on the lighting, they can be super obvious or barely apparent at all.

I feed Rods food, Larry's Reef frenzy, mysis shrimp, spirulina shrimp, fish eggs, marine cuisine, emerald entree, New life spectrum pellets (4 different varieties) , green seaweed, purple seaweed, seaweed extreme pellets. I don't feed all of these every single day obviously, but this is the selection of foods he gets regularly. I soak foods in Vitachem and Selcon on occasion as well but have yet to see an improvement in these areas. I can't imagine a diet that is more varied than I currently give him lol

Could these just be permanent scars? Or do these things sometimes tank months to years to heal?

Any advice appreciated!

I would guess they could permanent - perhaps slowly (very) improve.

OP
OP
george9

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess they could permanent - perhaps slowly (very) improve.
Would be a bummer if they end up being permanent. I have seen much worse heal up before but hippos have such sensitive skin it seems :confused: I have seen no change in either direction - better or worse - since it first occurred

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would be a bummer if they end up being permanent. I have seen much worse heal up before but hippos have such sensitive skin it seems :confused: I have seen no change in either direction - better or worse - since it first occurred
a little guy is more likely to heal slowly

EDIT - apologies. 'A' little guy is more likely to heal quickly!!! Sorry

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Any advice appreciated!

I have one that looked like that, he slowly healed and showed improvement

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost the first one in an electrical tank crash. The one I have now was also rough when I first got him. Ive had him 7 months or so now

OP
OP
george9

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost the first one in an electrical tank crash. The one I have now was also rough when I first got him. Ive had him 7 months or so now
Aw sorry to hear that. They're such timid fish at first, getting themselves all scraped up. They're definitely a tough fish to introduce due to their insane anxiety levels. Despite this, with time, mine has become fearless!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone,

Any advice appreciated!

With added high nutrition foods containing aminos, you can often restore this fully. It will depend on depth of injury or skin issue. Some good foods are:
LRS Fish Frenzy
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw sorry to hear that. They're such timid fish at first, getting themselves all scraped up. They're definitely a tough fish to introduce due to their insane anxiety levels. Despite this, with time, mine has become fearless!
My second one wasnt shy at all! He would just casually swim away from one of the tangs when they would chase or try to tail strike him. Odd fish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back