Hippo Tang Skydive

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fish jump, period. You can't guarantee that they'll never be startled into jumping, so a topless tank is just playing roulette with their lives. As you've seen, a fish that jumps is a fish that almost inevitably meets disaster. At best, they're put back into the tank with some damage from hitting the floor. At worst, they die slowly. It's good that you're getting a lid. Make sure it's durable, big fish can have a lot of force behind them.

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish jump, period. You can't guarantee that they'll never be startled into jumping, so a topless tank is just playing roulette with their lives. As you've seen, a fish that jumps is a fish that almost inevitably meets disaster. At best, they're put back into the tank with some damage from hitting the floor. At worst, they die slowly. It's good that you're getting a lid. Make sure it's durable, big fish can have a lot of force behind them.
I've had this tank without issue for many years. You're entitled to you opinion, and your comments aren't helpful at this point. Im getting a mesh top, not a lid btw, difficult to find 3/4 inch clips. Numerous people have tanks that are opened toped without issue as well.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mesh top is essentially a “lid”. It’s just a cover to prevent your livestock from carpet surfing. Also keep in mind, I’ve had all manner of fish try to escape and it wasn’t due to aggression issues. I was lucky enough one time to actually watch a sleeping clownfish jump out of a 1/4” gap at the back of my mesh screen which was clearanced for wavemaker cords. It just happens sometimes and in the last ten years, I’ve know certain reefers who’ve lost over a dozen fish this way. Sometimes it never happens.

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mesh top is essentially a “lid”. It’s just a cover to prevent your livestock from carpet surfing. Also keep in mind, I’ve had all manner of fish try to escape and it wasn’t due to aggression issues. I was lucky enough one time to actually watch a sleeping clownfish jump out of a 1/4” gap at the back of my mesh screen which was clearanced for wavemaker cords. It just happens sometimes and in the last ten years, I’ve know certain reefers who’ve lost over a dozen fish this way. Sometimes it never happens.
Yea unfortunately this fish jumped and he was a beauty. So before even posting this thread I opted to buy a mesh top. Just to be on the safe side. Ive only lost one other fish this way and it was many years back. I was sharing what happened and my progress in nursing this fish back to health. Sadly he didn't make it. I also removed the two rogue chromis to the sump. I think this is the best solution until I can find a proper home for them. Hopefully, this will resolve any future issues. I've had this tank setup since July of last year. It's a work in progress. I'm setting up two alage reactors and hopefully they should stabilize ph at night with an opposite light schedule. I think I will opt for a more suitable tang like a Kole or Chevron going forward.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DD Jumpguard has a built in lip that doesn't require clips; perfect for thick walled tanks.

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, mesh lid/top whatever you'd like to call it is now installed. I cut it to custom fit, used velcro to fasten it. Seems very secure so far.
IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see, what have I had jump.
1. Bellas Goby
2. Yellow Corris Wrasse
3. Basic orange and white Clown fish.
4. An 8inch Foxface Rabbit fish (large fish can jump!)
5. A large malaneouris wrasse.
6. Caribbean Blue Chromis.

I now have the BRS screens over the end sections of my tank. I have the middle section parts, I just need to find the roller to put the tubing the screens. Can't remember where I put that.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the Rabbitfish! Wow.

Was it fully grown when you got it / did it grow any more?

I am honestly surprised at how fish can be such cheeky little buggers.....
The Rabbit fish amazed me. It had been in a previous tank for 3 years or so, my display for about a year. I had a heater go bad and electricute my fish. I had a black long nose tang and the rabbit fish survive the electrocution. Something wasn't right with the rabbit fish after that. Eventually he developed a swim bladder issue and one day just jumped to his death. 3 feet behind the tank. I couldn't believe how far such a large fish jumped. He had grown, and was real healthy for a while, just acted weird after the electrocution. I suspect he had some brain damage.

My black long nose tang was the only survivor of the electrocution. And he's still alive and doing well!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Once the skin, eyes and gills start to dry, its a low percentage of survival Unfortunately. Sorry this happened. We buy a certain fish for a reason and the last thing one wants is this.

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see, what have I had jump.
1. Bellas Goby
2. Yellow Corris Wrasse
3. Basic orange and white Clown fish.
4. An 8inch Foxface Rabbit fish (large fish can jump!)
5. A large malaneouris wrasse.
6. Caribbean Blue Chromis.

I now have the BRS screens over the end sections of my tank. I have the middle section parts, I just need to find the roller to put the tubing the screens. Can't remember where I put that.
dang, I just had two in 12+ years with this tank. I had originally a flagfin angel chase my clowns and one jumped. Then this yellow bellied hippo. 12 years apart, but Ive taken the tank down once or twice in that time from either moves or just no time for it. Mesh is on there now.

Back