OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the skin, eyes and gills start to dry, its a low percentage of survival Unfortunately. Sorry this happened. We buy a certain fish for a reason and the last thing one wants is this.
sooooo true. One side was all F'd up. I have no idea if he was on the ground 10 minutes or 30. I was upstairs working ( network engineer) and came down to feed the tank. I picked him up thinking, definitely already dead, but he gasped. It felt wrong euthanizing him so I put him in the tank held him swam him around he perked up and put him in an egg crate in good flow from the return. That night he swam around looked healthy, then next day took a turn and died. Poor fella. He had a cool personality. Whelp, now the mesh is on, hopefully nobody escapes. Couples of small gaps, but nothing major.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's surely possible, but I suspect if I add any other fish with these chromis they will get bullied as well. I didn't see it occur, but the culprits seem more and more obvious to me now. I think having a lid wouldn't have prevented the Hippo's death from bullying. Jumping was just the first result. Perhaps you both missed reading my post: " I just ordered BRS clear mesh and trying to find 3/4 inch rimless clips. Hope it works. I'll update." I have decided to got with a mesh top for extra security going forward but I believe the cause are the chromis.

Its good that you got a lid. And - I who knows what would or wouldn't have happened with the lid. What we know is that with a lid - he wouldn't have been on the floor - and you likely would have seen the bullying before he died. I'm not saying this to make you feel bad - just a message to others who dont have a mesh lid - at some point - all fish can jump (and will). I just (in one day) found 2 x 5 inch discus on the floor after they jumped. If you want a recommendation - I would recommend https://www.clearviewlids.com - they are custom, look great (you really can't see them) - and fit your tank exactly - with cord holes, etc. There is a door for feeding. Good luck!

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its good that you got a lid. And - I who knows what would or wouldn't have happened with the lid. What we know is that with a lid - he wouldn't have been on the floor - and you likely would have seen the bullying before he died. I'm not saying this to make you feel bad - just a message to others who dont have a mesh lid - at some point - all fish can jump (and will). I just (in one day) found 2 x 5 inch discus on the floor after they jumped. If you want a recommendation - I would recommend https://www.clearviewlids.com - they are custom, look great (you really can't see them) - and fit your tank exactly - with cord holes, etc. There is a door for feeding. Good luck!
I know everyone in this hobby has this hubris of speaking from a perspective of talking to others as if they have zero experience in this hobby. So to that end, Ive been keeping reef tanks since the mid 90's. In that time Ive lost 5 fish, two to jumping, 2 to haddoni carpet and clowns baiting the fish to chase them into the anemone, and one due to what I like to call a "gf incident." Anyways, I put a mesh top on here, and the real reason is the tank is too shallow and two fish lost is too many in my mind. I appreciate the links, Ill check it out thanks.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know everyone in this hobby has this hubris of speaking from a perspective of talking to others as if they have zero experience in this hobby. So to that end, Ive been keeping reef tanks since the mid 90's. In that time Ive lost 5 fish, two to jumping, 2 to haddoni carpet and clowns baiting the fish to chase them into the anemone, and one due to what I like to call a "gf incident." Anyways, I put a mesh top on here, and the real reason is the tank is too shallow and two fish lost is too many in my mind. I appreciate the links, Ill check it out thanks.

Just like you said to others - I know that you put a lid on - I actually put that in the first sentence:)... Also - to reiterate - I said 'for other new hobbyists - its good to get a lid' (paraphrased). Most people don't realize how important it can be (in the past nearly all tanks had glass lids covering the whole thing'. It amazes me that people (when they buy the tanks) do not get the recommendation to put a lid on.

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like you said to others - I know that you put a lid on - I actually put that in the first sentence:)... Also - to reiterate - I said 'for other new hobbyists - its good to get a lid' (paraphrased). Most people don't realize how important it can be (in the past nearly all tanks had glass lids covering the whole thing'. It amazes me that people (when they buy the tanks) do not get the recommendation to put a lid on.
True, well all of this has prompted me to look into a much larger aquarium. I'm eyeing up the Waterbox and another peninsula aquarium. Unsure if I'm going 180 or 230g. Either or I will be upgrading and having a custom lid built or build it myself. I've outgrown this tank. I want something deeper and longer and to divide my open floor concept house.

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Update, so you guys can see my ghetto netting until my custom lid arrives. Everyone is very happy, no way top jump. Before Tang police arrive, this is temporary until my 240g peninsula is purchased and built. Going Prostar or Waterbox, just deciding on things. Tank is 75g with 25g sump so 100g in total, but will be upgrading this summer.

IMG_2055 (1).JPG

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quick Update, so you guys can see my ghetto netting until my custom lid arrives. Everyone is very happy, no way top jump. Before Tang police arrive, this is temporary until my 240g peninsula is purchased and built. Going Prostar or Waterbox, just deciding on things. Tank is 75g with 25g sump so 100g in total, but will be upgrading this summer.

IMG_2055 (1).JPG
The tank - and tank looks great!

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today just purchased the D-D Aquatics screen top kit, along with additional light bar kit. Ill update once I have it built and installed.

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally finished my DD aquariums screen top, much better then my ghetto rigged netting.

Attachments

• CF0535B4-E03B-4DEA-8CF8-F3AF89D5B465.jpeg
    CF0535B4-E03B-4DEA-8CF8-F3AF89D5B465.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 6B34FFD8-650E-4600-8764-37C5BED05784.jpeg
    6B34FFD8-650E-4600-8764-37C5BED05784.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 27

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back