Hippo tang trouble eating after copper

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm looking for some suggestions. Ive got a Hippo tang just over 3inches coming out of copper treatment and its not seaming to want anything to do with food im adding to the tank. Ive tried to add a bit of garlic to frozen mysis to see if that would help with no success and I usually feed Rods frozen original blend. Ive currently got some brine eggs on the way that should arrive today or tomorrow to try and provide a live food source for it to go after.

Anyone else have any tips for enticing this Hippo to start eating again?
20220525_160714.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen fish not eat while in copper and then immediately eat after they're out of it. Hippo tangs are usually pretty easy fish. Live brine is usually irresistible, if your lfs has it. Did the fish eat before the copper treatment?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have some nori? My tang attacks like a piranha

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the fish been in copper treatment ? was it eating earlier, while in the copper? Did it just recently stop eating? or hasn't it really eaten since you got it?

They say that copper treatment can suppress a fish's appetite, but I can't really say that I've witnessed that. All my fish seem to eat just fine while in QT with copper for 30 days.

The one time I had a (new) fish that refused to eat in QT, I ended up dosing metroplex to the tank a couple times and it started eating shortly there-after.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen fish not eat while in copper and then immediately eat after they're out of it. Hippo tangs are usually pretty easy fish. Live brine is usually irresistible, if your lfs has it. Did the fish eat before the copper treatment?
Yes he was eating before copper.

Have some nori? My tang attacks like a piranha
Yeah I've put a sheet of nori in every couple days and my 2 spot bristletooth goes after it right away, the hippo shows no interest.
How long has the fish been in copper treatment ? was it eating earlier, while in the copper? Did it just recently stop eating? or hasn't it really eaten since you got it?

They say that copper treatment can suppress a fish's appetite, but I can't really say that I've witnessed that. All my fish seem to eat just fine while in QT with copper for 30 days.

The one time I had a (new) fish that refused to eat in QT, I ended up dosing metroplex to the tank a couple times and it started eating shortly there-after.
I'm at day 13 of copper and did a 5 gal waterchange last night just to try and take some of the stress of the copper off. Going to do a near 100% with tonight to bring copper levels back down to near 0. He has not been interested in food since the start of the treatment. Hes not terrifyingly skinny like I've seen where de a th is imminent but I'm definitely noticing it loose weight.
How’s its vision? Any signs of vision loss?
Nope not that I can tell. He runs and hides as soon as I come into the room so I would say thats not an issue.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did use cupramine for my copper treatment so maybe thats more of the issue. I found put after the fact that this type of copper is not qt all easy on some fish. I lost 2 6 line wrasses and 2 algae blennies in the first week. Maybe once I get the water changed tonight ill start seeing a difference? My brine arrived in the mail today so ill hopefully be able to give it some of that as they hatch out tomorrow.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he was eating before copper.

Yeah I've put a sheet of nori in every couple days and my 2 spot bristletooth goes after it right away, the hippo shows no interest.

I'm at day 13 of copper and did a 5 gal waterchange last night just to try and take some of the stress of the copper off. Going to do a near 100% with tonight to bring copper levels back down to near 0. He has not been interested in food since the start of the treatment. Hes not terrifyingly skinny like I've seen where de a th is imminent but I'm definitely noticing it loose weight.

Nope not that I can tell. He runs and hides as soon as I come into the room so I would say thats not an issue.
FYI, If you did that big water change and let the copper stay below therapeutic levels, your shot clock resets.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, If you did that big water change and let the copper stay below therapeutic levels, your shot clock resets.
Yeah I understand that. Im doing a full follow period on my tank so I have plenty of time to get all the fish fattened back up and do another round of copper with copper safe. Im told that product is a lot easier on the fish then cupramine is.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd switch over to copper power or coppersafe if possible.

if the fish doesn't have any current issues, then I'd go ahead and do a water change to remove the cupramine. Then see if you can get him eating again, and then restart with the copper power and see if he keeps eating.

My QTing success went way up when I switched from using cupramine to copper power. It just seems a lot gentler on fish.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to confirm, your cupramine was dosed to what ppm?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back