Hippo Tang Went Missing!

jbilliel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new blue hippo tang from LA on Tuesday and it seemed to be doing well. It was playing with the other tangs and swimming all around the tank and then last night it went missing and still can't find the fang thing. I have a 90 gallon tank and can't for the life of me find any indication of it or that it's dead. I am afraid that if it did die that my CUC has already got ahold of it as I can't find anything. I did a water change thinking I might spook it out of hiding and nope... Nothing. All the other 20 or so fish are doing well and i just tested everything in the tank yesterday.

Where does it go? I am afraid that LA is thinking I am playing games with them and if I can't produce a body I guess I am out the $100?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 gallons with 20 fish and a hippo tang is definitely cramped. Hippos are notorious for hiding initially. You are correct, if you cannot produce a body then you have no way to show them the fish is dead.

OP
OP
J

jbilliel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked high and low all day and cannot find the missing fish anywhere...

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt a clean up crew could completely clean a hippo tang that quickly unless it was a baby baby tang. Even though tho I would think you would seem cloudiness/bones...

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippos commonly wedge themselves in rock work when they’re stressed or sleeping, just food for thought

OP
OP
J

jbilliel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ammonia is not up and I do not have a cover on my tank. I mean he could have jumped, but I have searched the floor everywhere and can't find a dead fish. I guess I will need to give it more time to see if he comes out.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is it? Hippo Tangs can wedge themselves into almost impossibly small spaces. I’ve had small ones disappear for days in large tanks, only to pop out after settling in for a few days.

OP
OP
J

jbilliel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang never showed up and after working with LA, I am very happy with their customer service. I for sure will be ordering from them again

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 79 52.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back