Hippo tang

jcoopcycle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue hippo that has recently came out of QT, approx a year old. Was in a near 90 day QT with my Tomini tang. They were introduced back into their original home about 10 days ago. (Keeping in mind they had been together since day one) Before the QT the hippo was pretty chilled out and had his own spot in the rockwork. Since the intro back into the 125 the Hippo has become very agressive, my tomini has several bite marks on her tail . It seems the hippo has claimed all the rock work and tank as hers. The tomini is smaller than the hippo. No real damage has been done and most of the time they swim together with no issues. Any thoughts?

technojunky101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs like to have turf wars feed well make sure plenty caves even though they will still fight over one lol feed more takes time usually calms down after couple days I have yellow hippo salfin and blond naso oh and Lippy aka Kong tang

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When introduced to a changed territory they need to rework out their hierarchy. In most cases it will calm down, though their may always be a dwgee of posturing.

OP
OP
jcoopcycle

jcoopcycle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I introduced 2 today hoping to take my hippo tangs agression off of my tomini. I put a larger naso and a yellow in a acclimation box for about 7 hours. I released them tonight. So far no issues.... my hippo and Tomini checked them out and went to their houses. All is quiet I am so Keeping my fingers crossed. So far so good. The naso and yellow came from t h e same tank and are well, but believe it or not they are having a few tussels nothing major though. They came from the same tank over a year together.... lights out now and a seems peaceful. I was hoping to take the hippos attention off of t h e tomini. These tangs are somthing else they are like little gsngsters.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I introduced 2 today hoping to take my hippo tangs agression off of my tomini. I put a larger naso and a yellow in a acclimation box for about 7 hours. I released them tonight. So far no issues.... my hippo and Tomini checked them out and went to their houses. All is quiet I am so Keeping my fingers crossed. So far so good. The naso and yellow came from t h e same tank and are well, but believe it or not they are having a few tussels nothing major though. They came from the same tank over a year together.... lights out now and a seems peaceful. I was hoping to take the hippos attention off of t h e tomini. These tangs are somthing else they are like little gsngsters.
Tang aggression is often curbed by having multiple tangs assuming you have the njtrient export capabilities and room for them -- much like African cichlids.

OP
OP
jcoopcycle

jcoopcycle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang aggression is often curbed by having multiple tangs assuming you have the njtrient export capabilities and room for them -- much like African cichlids.
Yes my nutrient export is good fuge, skimmer big sump, numbers are always good and is an established tank. Tank is well sized for the minimal amount of fish I have now. 4 tangs ,1 flame angel , several shrimp, snails, crabs and an urchin. Will be keeping an eye on everyone throughout the night as I don't sleep well.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back