hitchhiker crab id

  • Thread starter Thread starter JCM0521
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JCM0521

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 16, 2023
Messages
44
Reaction score
6
Location
Mississippi
What state or country do you live in
Mississippi
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1709086202706.png
 
Ooo thats an odd one. @ISpeakForTheSeas
It definitely is unique - particularly the striping on the legs.

OP, do you know what the crab hitchhiked in on/where it came from?

Also, a bit of a long shot here, but I don't suppose you have any pics of the claws, do you?
 
It definitely is unique - particularly the striping on the legs.

OP, do you know what the crab hitchhiked in on/where it came from?

Also, a bit of a long shot here, but I don't suppose you have any pics of the claws, do you?
Came from an Aussie rasta Torch colony from a coral wholesaler. No pics of claws
 
Came from an Aussie rasta Torch colony from a coral wholesaler. No pics of claws
I'm fairly confident you've got a young Chlorodielline crab of some variety there, probably a Chlorodiella sp., possibly C. nigra, but I'm not entirely sure.

The pattern on the legs may change a bit as it ages, and it should develop a somewhat rougher carapace, but it should stay small (adults of most of these species have a carapace size typically right around ~0.4"-0.75" full grown, so it really shouldn't pose a threat to most livestock - no guarantees with corals though) - there are claims that these can reach 8 cm/~3.14" full grown; I have seen absolutely no evidence to support that (even if you include the legs in the measurements).

I have seen one exceptionally large individual with a carapace width slightly less than 3 cm (it was ~1" carapace, and ~6 cm total counting fully outstretched legs); even at that size, it should be around the same size to somewhat smaller than a grown emerald crab.

I have also seen these for sale as "Black Mithrax Crabs" (no, they are not Mithrax crabs, nor are they closely related) - they're purportedly reef-safe, but I've also heard they may eat small inverts (like brittle stars).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new