Hitchhiker ID (Majano?)

  • Thread starter Thread starter SWnewbie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SWnewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 22, 2022
Messages
31
Reaction score
20
Location
Laguna Beach
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I'm looking for help to ID this coral please. The coral on a frag I received in January didn't survive however I noticed this little thing growing on the side of the frag base. It was tiny but I could see it had a green color to it. Since it didn't look like Aptasia or a vermetid snail I decided to keep it to see what it was. It' s been slowly growing and is still a bit small and I just can't figure out what it might be. It came from a vendor that also sells green BTAs and rock flower anemones.

So far it remains the only one on that frag and in the tank, I have not seen any more like this appear as I inspect the tank daily. The size of the polyp is no bigger than a Zoa and it has been isolated on the sand since it was placed in the tank. Any ideas? Friend or foe? TIA!

MysteryCoral1.jpg MysteryCoral2.jpg MysteryCoral5.jpg MysteryCoral6.jpg
 
Last edited:
I think that is just the coral regrowing, assuming it looks like what you ordered. Coral can regrow from very little flesh as long as the vital parts of the polyp remain intact, mainly the mouth and internal organs housed inside the skeleton. If it doesn't look like the coral before it died then I would guess maybe a baby majano, some of them are green like that.
 
I think that is just the coral regrowing, assuming it looks like what you ordered. Coral can regrow from very little flesh as long as the vital parts of the polyp remain intact, mainly the mouth and internal organs housed inside the skeleton. If it doesn't look like the coral before it died then I would guess maybe a baby majano, some of them are green like that.
Understood. Thanks @BristleWormHater !
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new