Critter ID

Tocspaw

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 14, 2023
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Location
Middle Tennessee
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi could use some help with critter ID. Thanks!

1). Anenome? It’s tiny and seems closed up.
IMG_6550.jpeg


2). I thought this could be a vermetid snail but it is swaying in the flow. Color is pale purple to white.
IMG_6548.jpeg


3) Last one. Not sure if this is a feather duster? It’s nestled in so I can’t see the base.
IMG_6546.jpeg
 
Sorry, are all three photos of different objects, or all photos are of the same object?

The first one sorta looks like a post from the other day thta was tunicates.

The last one looks like a polyp of some sort.

Maybe the second one is just another polpy in profile?
 
It's tough to say from these photos. Is it possible to get clearer ones?

For now, my guess on #1 is a tiny carpet anemone. That's not the name - I just haven't seen them marketed so I don't know if they have a name yet. I used to have them in one of my tanks. They get to the size of about a nickel, and reproduce by division. I always let them live because they were too short to sting most coral, and they didn't proliferate as fast as aiptasia or majanos. With intense blue light they would develop green, yellow, and purple coloration. I might be able to dig out some old photos if I go through my hard drives.

No clue on #2.

#3 is looking more like an anemone or perhaps even a branching LPS than a feather duster to me. At least from the photo.
 
I found a photo that has some of the carpet anemones in it:

Micro Carpet Anemones.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new