Hitchhiker ID?

reptileguy112

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 14, 2015
Messages
234
Reaction score
15
Location
Sacramento, California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the pic is small. I got a zoa from from aquaworkz and it has a little block of red and these little stiff blue polys you can see scattered everywhere.
hitch hikers..jpg
 
The red looks like a form of coralline and the blue polops look like a type of flower coral coral. But it's still hard to tell. Is the red specimen like a sponge or solid?
 
Still had to tell for sure in the picture. Might be blue clove polyps. Might be anthellia. Might be a number of things. Clove polyps and anthellia are cool, but can become invasive. If that were my frag, I would erradicate them while they are still small and few in numbers. The red and pink blotches look like coralline algae.
 
Last edited:
I concur with fin. Might be anthellia, that's a good possibility.
 
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1425854839.466152.jpg


Any ideas on what this little guy is I spotted him attached under my yellow scroll
 
That's exactly what it is. I have them and they like to make a web type trap to catch floating food.
 
The red looks like a form of coralline and the blue polops look like a type of flower coral coral. But it's still hard to tell. Is the red specimen like a sponge or solid?

^Exactly. I would put some some superglue or putty over them. Had some blue clove polyps that started off looking cool but took over a large part of my last tank.
 
I don't like them in my DT because the web will cover or be touching my Zoas and brain coral. It's a matter of preference. But they are great for a refugium.
 
The New Guy, it looks like a vermetid snail. I'd grab some pliers and get rid of that before it multiplies and is everywhere. They trap food using a web and it irritates corals.
 
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425855900.466316.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425855913.583368.jpg
as you can see in pic 2 there is a web. Like I said before they are good fire a fuge.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new