Hitchiker Bivalve?

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone identify this hitchiker under my Caulastrea? I didn't realize it was alive for an entire month haha. I'm guessing a mussel? Also, excuse the algae I didn't notice until I took the pics.

Edit oops missed the v in bivalve.

IMG_0843.jpg IMG_0844.jpg IMG_0845.jpg

Last edited:

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone identify this hitchiker under my Caulastrea? I didn't realize it was alive for an entire month haha. I'm guessing a mussel? Also, excuse the algae I didn't notice until I took the pics.

IMG_0843.jpg IMG_0844.jpg IMG_0845.jpg
This is probably one of the many flattened species of oyster. In any case, it is a harmless filter-feeder.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one too, that just appeared in this little 10-gallon tank about 3 years ago. It was odd, because this tank was started with dry rock and although it likely hitchhiked , it didn't grow from a frag plug.

I noticed it when it was little more that 1/4in across - not is about 2.5 inches across and and some color on its shell

I don't know for sure what it is. other than some sort of bivalve

its sits front and center in the tank, so it's kind of cool looking

20231015_135126.jpg

OP
OP
J

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one too, that just appeared in this little 10-gallon tank about 3 years ago. It was odd, because this tank was started with dry rock and although it likely hitchhiked , it didn't grow from a frag plug.

I noticed it when it was little more that 1/4in across - not is about 2.5 inches across and and some color on its shell

I don't know for sure what it is. other than some sort of bivalve

its sits front and center in the tank, so it's kind of cool looking

20231015_135126.jpg
Yup, that looks just like the one in mine. I wonder if they'll survive in our tanks. I've heard most non-photosynthetic bivalves don't make it in aquariums

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, that looks just like the one in mine. I wonder if they'll survive in our tanks. I've heard most non-photosynthetic bivalves don't make it in aquariums
I dunno - but this one started as a tiny little nub, and has bene happy growing for at least a few years in this tank.

20231015_140628.jpg

The tank just has a few clowns, some soft coral and over abundance of Majano Anemone that took over the tank a while ago - LOL

I'm slowly beating them back with some GSP

edit: that glass needs some cleaning :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hitchhiker bivalves tend to be much more resilient than their non-hitchhiker counterparts and can survive and even grow in captivity without special care.
You could also help them along with phytoplankton supplements in the 2-20 micrometer particle size range.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back