HLLE?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shoki
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Shoki

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 11, 2024
Messages
36
Reaction score
2
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this Koran angel for just about 9 months now. He is just a baby

Heard these are one of the hardiest angels but i’ve had problems before.

I feed a diverse diet. Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, squid and he eats some of my snails sometimes. I feed purple nori and green nori interchangeably and he eats it well. My nitrates are below 5ppm. Very active with great color up until recently. Color seems to be fading around the top fin and face.

I went on vacation for 3 weeks and the tank hadn’t had a water change for 3 weeks and I assume experienced nitrate spike. Recently did water change when I got home. I run chemipure at the recommended dose for my tank and I don’t use cheap carbon.

Is this the beginning of HLLE?

IMG_1620.jpeg IMG_1619.jpeg IMG_1617.jpeg IMG_1623.jpeg IMG_1622.jpeg IMG_1621.jpeg
 
@Jay Hemdal is the guy who can discuss carbon usage and give you the best diagnosis.

I think it’s classic beginnings of lateral line problems but let’s see what other people think?

@vetteguy53081
 
I’ve had this Koran angel for just about 9 months now. He is just a baby

Heard these are one of the hardiest angels but i’ve had problems before.

I feed a diverse diet. Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, squid and he eats some of my snails sometimes. I feed purple nori and green nori interchangeably and he eats it well. My nitrates are below 5ppm. Very active with great color up until recently. Color seems to be fading around the top fin and face.

I went on vacation for 3 weeks and the tank hadn’t had a water change for 3 weeks and I assume experienced nitrate spike. Recently did water change when I got home. I run chemipure at the recommended dose for my tank and I don’t use cheap carbon.

Is this the beginning of HLLE?

IMG_1620.jpeg IMG_1619.jpeg IMG_1617.jpeg IMG_1623.jpeg IMG_1622.jpeg IMG_1621.jpeg

In some cases, HLLE starts around the "nares" (nasal openings) like this. Korans are fairly resistant to HLLE , but they can develop it. I've not had issues with Chemipure Elite and HLLE, but I rinse it a lot more than they suggest in their instructions.

Flukes can also cause pale coloration in fish - are you seeing any flashing/scratching?

If you haven't seen it, here is a reprint of my article on HLLE:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/head-and-lateral-line-erosion-hlle.784/
Jay
 
Shoki, do you use RODI Water? And just curious, what is that big pipe on the bottom of you tank?
 
I’ve had this Koran angel for just about 9 months now. He is just a baby

Heard these are one of the hardiest angels but i’ve had problems before.

I feed a diverse diet. Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, squid and he eats some of my snails sometimes. I feed purple nori and green nori interchangeably and he eats it well. My nitrates are below 5ppm. Very active with great color up until recently. Color seems to be fading around the top fin and face.

I went on vacation for 3 weeks and the tank hadn’t had a water change for 3 weeks and I assume experienced nitrate spike. Recently did water change when I got home. I run chemipure at the recommended dose for my tank and I don’t use cheap carbon.

Is this the beginning of HLLE?

IMG_1620.jpeg IMG_1619.jpeg IMG_1617.jpeg IMG_1623.jpeg IMG_1622.jpeg IMG_1621.jpeg
Fish is distant in the pics while you have provided good lighting.
A video would likely be clearer and closer and what foods are you offering it?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new