Hmm, not sure what this is

  • Thread starter Thread starter Citycop89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Citycop89

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 15, 2018
Messages
94
Reaction score
58
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
800E4701-D5A6-4CC2-8911-2F39183F44B1.jpeg
B6D0F70B-6E95-4E4D-9905-4C1F6D89F54D.jpeg
For a little while I’ve been having some sort of growth on my sand bed. Initially, this growth was more of a red color and I believe it to be cyano but never confirmed. If I tapped the sand bed with my trusty wooden dowel, it would jiggle like jell-o.

This growth would come during the lighted time and recede at night. Then, it was gone for several days. Now I’m getting some growth in the same area and also through out the sand bed. This seems to be more of a brown color. Again, happens during lighted period and goes away at night when my lights shut down and go into night mode. Pictures attached from today.

Haven’t had a chance to do some testing. Will hopefully have the time for that tomorrow or Monday. Will post results then. If you have any ideas until then, please let me know.
 
Looks like diatoms to me. I get them whenever my silicates are high from water changes or top off water. It's usually my 6 month indicator that I need to change my RODI filters.
 
I’ve thought about cyano and diatoms. Just wish there was some magical way to say what it is! Unfortunately I can’t get my testing done today. Have to get ready for the impending snow storm set to hit and work. Perhaps tomorrow I can post some info.

Side note, I changed my RODI filters last month when I started getting 4-5 tds reading. New ones are at 0 tds and I’m on well water.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 10 5.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 16.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new