HOB filter + HOB Protein Skimmer

wiltonk44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So I am currently running a 29g FOWLR tank (with the exception of a small amount of GSP) with a AquaClear 50 HOB filter. I plan on upgrading to a 75 gallon FOWLR in a few months. Ive done some research on protein skimmers (and that they are not necessary but highly recommended) so I plan on getting one for my upgraded tank. My question is since I will have the protein skimmer to help with filtration is an AquaClear 50 enough filtration in partner with the protein skimmer? I understand my HOB filter is only up to 50 g but I figured Id ask if that is enough.

Thanks!

Kevin

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what the setup will be. IMO if you have ample live rock, it’s possible. In my head with your tank and what you’re wanting I could see you putting a bunch of live rock ~ 1.5lbs per gallon. Better off actual live rock not that dry stuff seeded with bacteria but they’ll both get you to the same spot just at different paces. And you could run mechanical and chemical filtration through the HOB, have skimmer for exporting organics and I’d highly recommend some sort of refuge with macro algae even if it’s some DIY HOB fuge.

Medic3170

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be turning over your tank 4-6x per hour. I would think you would definitely want a bigger filter sooner than later.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bio filtration happens with live rock and water turnover in the tank. The hob filter is not needed and doesnt really do anything in terms of bio filtration. For FOWLR, no skimmer is needed. A skimmer pulls dissolved organics out of the water to keep nitrates and phosphates low to please the corals, but nitrates and phosphates dont bother fish at low levels. I would suggest to increase the amount of rock when you upgrade and keep the current HOB, for mechanical filtration, or for running carbon, etc... just my 2 cents

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back