HOB protein skimmer glass lid problem

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a HOB protein skimmer for my 29 gallon nano tank that I would like to install but the problem is I have a glass lid to help with condensation and need ideas on how to make it fit.

This tank is getting close to finishing its cycle and I will be adding livestock soon.

I have a glass lid that is a bi-fold hotdogs style with the little plastic strip at the back.

I cut the plastic strip and opened up a space for my Tidal 55 HOB filter. It fits fine with the space but I am trying to figure out a way to make the protein skimmer fit in the back but it is bigger than the plastic strip in the back.

So I guess my question is how easy is it to cut aquarium glass? I don't mind doing DIY but I like the glass lid for condensation and for livestock safety.
20210107_144914.jpg

I would like to cut out like a square of the glass if that is easy to fit the skimmer. Is this feasible? Or do I have to cut a corner of the glass and put it there?

This is the skimmer I would like to use.
20210111_174342.jpg

I would love any suggestions any one has or to know how easy cutting a square out of the back glass panel will be instead of cutting a corner off.

I thought about pulling the back panel out and adding a polycarbonate back panel instead but that will hinder light penetrating into the tank.

Thanks for checking this out!

20210107_144943.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you use the glass cover?

You mentioned 'condensation', but condensation where?

Glass covers typically are not used on saltwater tanks. They reduce the air flow over the water and reduce the ability for the water to give up it's excess C02 and to take in oxygen from the air.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it to a glass shop or old fashioned hardware store that cuts glass. See if it can be done successfully.

Or, you could see if the skimmer will fit in an hob filter like an Aquaclear 70 or 110. I know, its an added expense and takes up room...

BestCutter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a HOB protein skimmer for my 29 gallon nano tank that I would like to install but the problem is I have a glass lid to help with condensation and need ideas on how to make it fit.
I have a glass lid that is a bi-fold hotdogs style with the little plastic strip at the back.
So I guess my question is how easy is it to cut aquarium glass? I don't mind doing DIY but I like the glass lid for condensation and for livestock safety.
I would like to cut out like a square of the glass if that is easy to fit the skimmer. Is this feasible? Or do I have to cut a corner of the glass and put it there?
I would love any suggestions any one has or to know how easy cutting a square out of the back glass panel will be instead of cutting a corner off.
Your glass lid is in all likelihood tempered. It cannot be cut without shattering.

Dennis

OP
OP
C

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your glass lid is in all likelihood tempered. It cannot be cut without shattering.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis. I might try to remove the back and a screen instead. I can cut a screen to shape easy enough. I was just hoping to be able to keep as much of the glass as possible to help with the evaporation since the tank is a nano and prone to salinity swings. I guess I will be investing in an ATO sooner than I wanted for this tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back