Hob protein skimmer question

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a aquamax hob protein skimmer to my 40 gallon tank …it’s doing a heck of a job but I noticed that my lps corals shrink when I leave it on…idk if it’s from the bubbles or is it possible the skimmer is taking out too much nutrients ? The cup I gotta empty teaks so I know it’s working great ...

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We would need pictures of the potential micro bubbles but also your tanks parameters please :) Best of luck

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It could very well be over skimming if you are running a low nutrient system...

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled my bubble stopper off to check, only getting large bubbles that quickly float back up without it. Currently I would be fine running without the bubble stopper.
I recall when I first had the skimmer there might have been micro bubbles that stuck around in the display, but it’s been a while.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I recently added a aquamax hob protein skimmer to my 40 gallon tank …it’s doing a heck of a job but I noticed that my lps corals shrink when I leave it on…idk if it’s from the bubbles or is it possible the skimmer is taking out too much nutrients ? The cup I gotta empty teaks so I know it’s working great ...
Microbubbles will upset them as will skim. A Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles in the reaction chamber, will have dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not have the output for the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank size, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient and can lower oxygen , ph and even trigger cyano. (adding nutrients)
If skimming well can reduce nutrients

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back