HOB refugium on a Fluval Evo 5?

Jeremy0322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back into the hobby and I decided to get an Evo 5 for my desk at work. I have a bunch of old equipment from previous tanks and one of the pieces is an old aquaclear 110. I was wondering if anyone has experience with HOB filters on tanks this size. My main concern is the weight of the filter when full (should be about 11 pounds) stressing the back wall but I wouldn't mind using it as a fuge with the added benefit of more water volume

Has anyone run a HOB of this size of this tank? If so how did it end up? Thanks!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using that hob is a great idea. For mine I just built a T out of wood and wedged it under the fuge to help hold the weight

OP
OP
J

Jeremy0322

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a photo to share? I am curious for a 13.5. Thanks!
I also would love to see a photo or a link. That would make me feel much better about it. I had considered something like this but was worried about it not sitting properly and vibrating a lot. Thanks!

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also would love to see a photo or a link. That would make me feel much better about it. I had considered something like this but was worried about it not sitting properly and vibrating a lot. Thanks!

I am considering a CPR Refug for my Evo 13.5 and I am scared / concerned to put almost anything on the glass itself. It's soo thin!

I was considering a piece of plywood (or 2x8) on the bottom and a 2x4 against the center of the back. But, the back is likely overkill and a properly sized / stacked 2x4 or plywood is probably enough?

I am not as concerned about the vibrations, but I hadn't really thought about it since that should be mitigated with the plastic feet that sit against the glass?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a photo to share? I am curious for a 13.5. Thanks!
Mine is on a larger scale. I have a 30 something gallon bowfront tank and a way oversized hob fuge. The bowfront is so awkwardly tall and the fuge so big and heavy I just wanted to relieve some of the weight so I wedged something like this under it
Screenshot_20210320-090301_Google.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back