hob skimmer for Aqueon 75 gallon

jfoster38122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I should do overflow and sump and may do that but I am trying to find an hob skimmer but the rim is like 1.5 inches and haven't found a skimmer to fit that
just in case I do go the sump route is there like an overflow and sump for dummies
I'm overly paranoid about sump or tank flooding

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First let me say welcome to Reef2Reef!
welcome 3.jpg

Is the rim on your tank 1.5" because it's euro-braced?

You'll want to do a lot of investigating and asking questions before you dive into doing a sump (especially if you are paranoid)!

Since your tank is already set up, I assume it's not drilled and that you are not going to drill it now, right? So that means you need a siphon overflow and probably an aqua-lifter pump in order to get water from the tank to the sump. Good siphon overflows aren't cheap, aqua-lifter pumps are and I'd suggest you buy 1 and a few spare parts or just buy 2 so you have a back up. The aqua-lifter pump will insure that you always have a siphon to keep water flowing to the sump.

Then you'll need a sump. The bigger the better, but size isn't critical. For a 75g DT, I'd look for a sump that can hold about 40g. Smaller will work, but bigger is easier to work with. As an example, I have a 40g cube as my DT and I have a 40g sump in the stand (you can see my set up in this build thread:You also need to pay attention to where you are going to put it. Most people put it in the stand under the DT. Just make sure there is room between the top of the sump and the ceiling inside the stand so that you can get the skimmer and the return pump out through the opening.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another consideration is no skimmer at all.

Many DIY and store bought macro algae reactors can hang on the tank or the wall behind it and provide some of the same functions plus they work as a refugium of sorts as well.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and post some pics of your tank. if it is just a standard 75g Aqueon tank, you should be able to use any of the big brand HOB skimmers out there. The exception to this would be if the tank was euro braced, which I have only seen once on an Aqueon, as they removed the black trim at the top and then installed the euro bracing so the tank had a rimless look.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot: Welcome aboard!

Another option is to find someone with a modded coralife super skimmer. They actually work very well if you set them up correctly. There are a list of mods on the internet.

I have four of them not in use at the moment. I kind of collected them and started modding when I had more tanks. :)

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go the HOB overflow route I would either get a lifereef or eshopps overflow. They use a U-tube for the siphon and don't rely on a pump. I've been using an eshopps for 5 years now with no issues. Siphon starts right up again after a power failure or WC, I don't get bubbles collecting in the U-tube over time, and if it the siphon was ever to break the return section doesn't hold enough water to flood the tank it would run dry before doing so. I bet many of the failures you'll hear about were because they weren't set up correctly with mismatching pumps to overflows.

OP
OP
J

jfoster38122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone and thanks for the welcome
I rounded up a bit to 1.5 inches
I just checked it again and it's really 125 inches
I bought the aquatop Xyclone but it didn't sit all the way down on the rim
yes the tank it setup now so drilling is a no go unfortunately
I was looking at the Eshopps 800 overflow I think it was
oh yeah if an algae export does well I'm interested in that as I store everything under my stand to keep our 3 dogs from getting into anything and the less I have to plug in the better
if I did find a hob skimmer I want it to have a drain on the cup in case it goes crazy skimming and I can let it drain instead of overflow
Thank you everyone

OP
OP
J

jfoster38122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone and thanks for the welcome
I rounded up a bit to 1.5 inches
I just checked it again and it's really 125 inches
I bought the aquatop Xyclone but it didn't sit all the way down on the rim
yes the tank it setup now so drilling is a no go unfortunately
I was looking at the Eshopps 800 overflow I think it was
oh yeah if an algae export does well I'm interested in that as I store everything under my stand to keep our 3 dogs from getting into anything and the less I have to plug in the better
if I did find a hob skimmer I want it to have a drain on the cup in case it goes crazy skimming and I can let it drain instead of overflow
Thank you everyone

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Deltecs are the best hob skimmers on the market but they are expensive. I believe it will fit 1.25 inches. I'm using one on a 75 gallon Oceanic tank and it does a great job. The skimmer cup is designed to overflow back into the skimmer in case the skimmer goes crazy. BattleCorals is the only vendor in the US that know sales them. Marine Depot sales Deltec but I don't think they stock the hob skimmers.

OP
OP
J

jfoster38122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back