Hole in head disease

colsongreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had an Emperor Angel for about 4 months now. Bought him when he was the size of a silver dollar. He is doing great!! His dorsal area is turning yellow, his lines are changing, and his tail is turning yellow too. He’s close to 4” in diameter now. But one thing is wrong....that dang hole in head disease!!! I’ve tried everything from keeping seaweed in tank 24/7, kanaflex and metroplex. Numerous vitamin supplements and special angel fish food soak! Open to ANY suggestions and positive experiences.

dede

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did he have this when you bought him? I have a mature sailfin tang that I bought as a package deal that had hhle and I threw everything at him trying to reverse it. Then I read that it can be permanent scarring which I believe is the case for me.

Not sure with a juvenile though if scarring would be permanent, but I have read that it can take quite a long time to reverse hhle. Have you checked for stray voltage, that can be a cause. And I read that carbon at least with tangs can cause it.

Also food soaked in selcon is also really good to give them.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Life Spectrum pellets will help reverse this. There is a lot of debate, but Vitamin A and E are what I have found that really helps along with fatty acids.

I feed like 60% NLS pellets, 35% Mysis and then 5% of misc other stuff and have no issues anymore with any of the diseases.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running charcoal?

OP
OP
C

colsongreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did he have this when you bought him? I have a mature sailfin tang that I bought as a package deal that had hhle and I threw everything at him trying to reverse it. Then I read that it can be permanent scarring which I believe is the case for me.

Not sure with a juvenile though if scarring would be permanent, but I have read that it can take quite a long time to reverse hhle. Have you checked for stray voltage, that can be a cause. And I read that carbon at least with tangs can cause it.

Also food soaked in selcon is also really good to give them.

No he didn’t have it when I bought him. I do have a little stray voltage but my fish store expert said not to get a grounding probe. And I do soak in selcon, and selco boost regularly.

OP
OP
C

colsongreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Life Spectrum pellets will help reverse this. There is a lot of debate, but Vitamin A and E are what I have found that really helps along with fatty acids.

I feed like 60% NLS pellets, 35% Mysis and then 5% of misc other stuff and have no issues anymore with any of the diseases.

Ok that sounds good I’ll give it a try. Thanks.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask, how much stay voltage do you have? I highly recommend a grounding probe for your safety and your inhabitants safety as well.

Do you have your equipment plugged into a gfci circuit?

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good results with Furan-2 on two of my fish in QT

OP
OP
C

colsongreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask, how much stay voltage do you have? I highly recommend a grounding probe for your safety and your inhabitants safety as well.

Do you have your equipment plugged into a gfci circuit?

My guy said that a little stray voltage is better than direct current or something like that. I have most of it plugged into a surge bar but none in the wall.

OP
OP
C

colsongreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had an Emperor Angel for about 4 months now. Bought him when he was the size of a silver dollar. He is doing great!! His dorsal area is turning yellow, his lines are changing, and his tail is turning yellow too. He’s close to 4” in diameter now. But one thing is wrong....that dang hole in head disease!!! I’ve tried everything from keeping seaweed in tank 24/7, kanaflex and metroplex. Numerous vitamin supplements and special angel fish food soak! Open to ANY suggestions and positive experiences.

IMG_3926.JPG

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back