Holy Cow, Reef Tanks Certainly Have Changed Since 1995!

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only changes that i really see since 95 i see is no compact florescents, no deep sandbeds, and controllers, and
Leds.
Metal halides,skimmers,calcium reactors,3 part, liverock are still around.

Wetdry trickle filters went out of style by 91.

OP
OP
RoweReef

RoweReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only changes that i really see since 95 i see is no compact florescents, no deep sandbeds, and controllers, and
Leds.
Metal halides,skimmers,calcium reactors,3 part, liverock are still around.

Wetdry trickle filters went out of style by 91.
I guess. In the late 80s to mid 90s, I was still using a wet/dry trickle filter and all my live rock was from the ocean. No one I knew was dosing aminos or feeding coral things such as reef roids. Way less options for salt (as I remember). No one sold frags, I only purchased big colonies back then. I see many small differences that, to me, add up.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about colonies and salt, but most of those salts are still around. That speaks volumes to me. As far as the wet/dry bioball crap, good riddance. Funny thing is lot of reefers who couldnt afford them were already using baffled aquariums with filter floss and a bunch of extra live rock by the late 80s. I di remember petland having full colonies for sale though. I set my first reef up in 88'
I remember the 2k huge qet/dry filters being the rich reefers game

OP
OP
RoweReef

RoweReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true. I had a friend that was using a 55-gallon tank with live rock for a sump. My wet/dry was small, definitely not expensive. One big difference that I remember, many LFS to get equipment and livestock. I never considered going to a Petco type big box pet supply store. The internet killed them all the small shops.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back