Holy CRAP Did I Just Catch A Break!

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So several months ago I noticed some salt creep around a joint in the return plumbing system I have on the floor behind the tank, as well as up in the plumbing hanging down from the external overflow box, and I fixed it with replacement parts on the one location and a bunch of plumber's putty on the other (very hard to reach). So this evening, while squeezing into some other tight spaces to clean tank, I take the opportunity to a look at the one location and the other to make sure there's no more salt creep. Well, there's no more salt creep, but what the heck do I just quickly catch a glimpse of sitting on the bottom of the external overflow box (which fortunately is clear)? THIS!!! Given the amount of rust and other buildup on it, it's clearly been in there awhile..... Talk about catching a real break!

IMG_6845.jpg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good catch.....better finding it now than later down the road when you are trying to figure out why your SPS are dieing :(

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a find! Talk about lucky ;)
There is another user on here who was chasing numbers for months trying to figure out why his corals were upset, come to find a rusting razor blade tucked at the back of their sump. I forget who the user is. But took that out, a couple water changes and everything bounced right back :)

OP
OP
Kengar

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good catch.....better finding it now than later down the road when you are trying to figure out why your SPS are dieing :(

I wonder whether THIS is what was driving the general decline I had noticed over the last several weeks. Started seeing a coating of diatoms, coral tentacle just not as fully extended or vibrant, etc. Thinking it was the lights (which were bought in 2015 but not used until starting last November, when I finally got the build finished), I replaced them and just inserted new bulbs today. It was doing general "prettyin' up" and found it.

(Edit: Posted before immediately preceding post......)

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back