Holy Grail Torch deflated. Someone help!

Sims Reef Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I bought a holy grail torch last week for my 30 gallon tank. It seemed to be doing pretty good for the first few days but I noticed two days ago that its polyps look deflated. I’m curious if anyone might offer some insight.
image.jpg

Here are my parameters:

Salinity: 1.024
Ammonia: 0.1
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
PH: 8.3
Phos: 0.5
DkH: 8.9
Calcium: 440

I am dealing with what I believe to be Dino’s and did a black out for one day before I realized the polyps were deflating. Since then I turned the lights back on and I’m trying to keep everything consistent. I did a 10% water change which didn’t seem to do much.

It’s getting a good amount of flow and is placed near the bottom of my tank but is getting lots of light.

I’m thinking of dosing Chemiclean and lowering the intensity of my lights but I want to see if anyone has had similar issues with torches or has any insights to offer.

Thanks I’m advance.
image.jpg

OP
OP
Sims Reef Tank

Sims Reef Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

Sorry for the late post.

So contrary to advice given here I ended up doing a chemiclean treatment for 48hrs. It definitely cleaned up other things in my tank and I presume helped my torch as well. I spoke to the manager at my LFS and he said that he doses his euphyllia tank every couple months with Chemiclean. Saying that they are prone to bacteria in their polyps. I’m guessing for them there’s a lot of new things going in and out of the tank and that’s why he does it frequently.

Secondly, I had moved it further away from my hammer coral. I read that torches cannot be placed near hammer corals. I’m not sure if that was the reason for the deflation or at least a contributing factor.

Thirdly, I altered my lights a tad. I ended up putting on a 7 Day acclimation starting at 60% intensity. In terms of light it also moved 5 inches lower in the tank and off to the side, lowering the par it was getting.

Lastly I was extremely diligent with ensuring my salinity wasn’t fluctuating. While completing a weekly 10% water change.
image.jpg

it’s be recovering slowly with fuller polyps and better extension each day

I am by no means a marine biologist, nor do I have much experience with torch corals but I figured I’d share what I did and the results. Overall I think the most import thing was making sure there were no major swings in the water chemistry. As for the other things I think the Chemiclean helped but I have no way of saying for sure. Same goes for altering the placement and lighting. It’s completely possible that one of these actions impeded the recovery.

Luckily it survived! Thanks to everyone who reached out and offered advice. I hope this thread can help someone in the future. Happy Reefing!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had purchased an aussie gold from a reputable local retailer but it was in rough shape. Almost completely receeded into the already exposed skeletal structure.
What ended up saving it was moving it into the shade at the bottom of my tank for like 2 months. It slowly and finally recovered.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back