holy grail torch or no ?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy corals you like and make up your own names. Serves the same purpose and won't be let down.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is it even a holy grail at all. I purchased a 24k indo torch a few months ago. It turned out to be a NY Knicks torch because I didn't ask questions before I purchased it. If I would have known it was a NY Knicks even though the vendor said it was 24k indo torch I would have passed.
I don't think there is a definition for "holy grail" now, that's the point, other than being a really nice gold torch.

Which holy grail? Some vendors have like a half dozen tagged as a different "HG", with varying prices that seem to generally correlate to quality.

If it was me, I would be comfortable if it was a known vendor, and you like it. If you want a specific strain you have seen before, then get that one by name from a reputable vendor.

Last edited:

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the torch in question
Cuttlefish and corals had a torch called the Oregon ducks that resembled this one.

It also resembles some master torches I have.

The term "HOLY GRAIL" is so loose now but I guess the ASD/24kccMancini version would be it.

But even then those variants have a TON of differences.

Unless you are collecting to get every one from every vendor....I agree with @Jekyl buy what you like.

It looks like a sexy torch to me and I'd buy it, regardless name ;)

Last edited:

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuttlefish and corals had a torch called the Oregon ducks that resembled this one.

It also resembles some master torches I have.

The term "HOLY GRAIL" is so loose now but I guess the ASD/24kccMancini version would be it.

But even then those variants have a TON of differences.

Unless you are collecting to get every one from every vendor....I agree with @Jekyl buy what you like.

It looks like a sexy torch to me and I'd buy it, regardless name ;)
Sorry for being relentless. But does the torch resemble other holy grail torches you have or have seen. This would be my first high dollar torch. I usually stick to the cheaper torches because of my inexperience with keeping then. But I've been successful keeping cheaper torches for a while now and I've finally grew a pair to put up the big bucks for a holy grail. But maybe you guys are right. As long as it's healthy and it's what I want it doesn't matter what it's called.. I guess I wanted to join the cool guy holy grail crew.. lol.. and say that I own one.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for being relentless. But does the torch resemble other holy grail torches you have or have seen. This would be my first high dollar torch. I usually stick to the cheaper torches because of my inexperience with keeping then. But I've been successful keeping cheaper torches for a while now and I've finally grew a pair to put up the big bucks for a holy grail. But maybe you guys are right. As long as it's healthy and it's what I want it doesn't matter what it's called.. I guess I wanted to join the cool guy holy grail crew.. lol.. and say that I own one.
Cool guys have the no-name torches

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like it, you like it. Most of the amazing tanks on here are seen for just that. I've never looked at pics of @vetteguy53081 's tank for example and picked apart what's name brand or not. Unless you're going to focus on selling in the future, no one who you show it off to will know the difference either. Color / coral schemes and placement will matter more than what some dude named it.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the picture looks like an example of torches that vendors currently label as holy grails.

Last edited:

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the torch in question
Since you want an opinion on if the torch looks like a grail... I'll give mine.

I think it is a master variation.

Here is one that looked like yours when I got it on the left. You can see the blue/green hue still in the tenticles. Those used to be darker like in your pic. They also stay almost half and half color.

Screenshot_20220810-170758_Gallery.jpg

Here are "holy grail" varieties
20220810_161729.jpg

20220810_161525.jpg

Complete yellow tenticles and bright green mouths. There are differences in each one but they are a completely different variant from the torch in your pic.

Master torches are just as expensive as most grails.

With the exception of vendor named ones and of course the 24kcc-mancini.

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is one that looked like yours when I got it on the left. You can see the blue/green hue still in the tenticles. Those used to be darker like in your pic. They also stay almost half and half color.

20220810_161729.jpg

20220810_161525.jpg

Complete yellow tenticles and bright green mouths. There are differences in each one but they are a completely different variant from the torch in your pic.

20220810_161729.jpg

20220810_161525.jpg

Those are beautiful torches. Yea I agree. Most grails I've seen are brighter. Unless it's a really bad picture the vendor took.

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20220810_161729.jpg

20220810_161525.jpg

Why are some holy grail torches green and others yellow? Are those all variations ? Are they all considered holy grail torches?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why are some holy grail torches green and others yellow? Are those all variations ? Are they all considered holy grail torches?
From what I've learned and seen, different Colors come with different nutrient levels matched with different light/par/spectrum.

All HG torches start with green in the wild.

I've seen completely green colonies turn into yellow grails.

That's what the vendors really try to accomplish.

Get in coral and color it up.

Find the vendor/hobbiest you like and trust the best and buy from them.

The larger ones on this site are trust worthy and grow amazing coral amd each have their own personal touches they do.

Keep in mind torches as all coral change color when in your tank after a while.

It's best to see what the vendor or hobbiest is running their tank at if you want to keep the colors as close to what you received.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some vendors are really really good at pulling yellow and it does fade if the torches environment changes.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back