Home made accelerator for negative space aquascpes, will this work?

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to drill add 1/4 in fiberglass rod, and cement dried reef rock together. I watched the BRS negative space auquascape video, where they just glued the rocks together.Thought I might try super glue and cement. I just don't have accelerator...Do you think the baking soda and purified water will work?

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use super glue and either fine sand or rock dust... keep it simple. This one has been wet for a little less than a year...

324868.jpeg
324867.jpeg

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to drill add 1/4 in fiberglass rod, and cement dried reef rock together. I watched the BRS negative space auquascape video, where they just glued the rocks together.Thought I might try super glue and cement. I just don't have accelerator...Do you think the baking soda and purified water will work?

Yes baking soda and purified water will work. If you have pure acetone a little of that as well.

I used a solution of 50/50 purified water/acetone mixed with the baking soda

Just make sure it's just acetone, and not acetone with aloe or anything added.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baking soda has been used as a CA accelerator for decades. It does work, but it doesn't produce as strong a bond as CA with true CA accelerator. The finish of baking soda looks like, well, baking soda, so it resembles rock more than the glossy CA.
My suggestion is dust the rock pieces in baking soda, then glue assemble and sprinkle the uncured CA with rock dust. That makes the strongest bond with the most natural finish.

Or, I prefer to drill holes in the rock pieces and use fiberglass rod combined with CA and rock dust. It produces the strongest structure for me.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back