Homebrewers UNITE!

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used a starter batch but I do get liquid yeast. I did an IPA and my Farmhouse ale which is a chocolate stout (like Guinness but way better). I will make another Farmhouse ale since it takes awhile to condition and it is nice to have this on draft as it is everyone's favorite. I'll probably also make my Blue Moon clone or perhaps a Belgian trippel.

OP
OP
Mr.Rocc

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yeast, more alc, more fermentation, clearer beer.
Thats just my rule of thumb.
That Farmhouse sounds awesome!! Im assuming you just carb it and not nitro it correct?

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yeast, more alc, more fermentation, clearer beer.
Thats just my rule of thumb.
That Farmhouse sounds awesome!! Im assuming you just carb it and not nitro it correct?

Just CO2 no creamer faucet. That Farmhouse is spectacular. I put 1/2 a can of raw cocoa in it. It is a dessert beer for sure.

I don't understand how you get more alcohol with a yeast culture. It is my understanding that the yeast will continue to thrive and create alcohol until all of the sugar is gone. My final gravity shows that almost all the sugar has been depleted. If I want higher alcohol like with the Belgian Trippel, I start with more sugar. 11 lbs for the Trippel as compared to 7 lbs for the other beers for instance.

I did make a Scotch Ale once and could not drink it. Just WAY too much alcohol. I gave it all away to a friend that loves those high gravity beers. That was back in my bottling days like 10 years ago.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did make a Scotch Ale once and could not drink it. Just WAY too much alcohol. I gave it all away to a friend that loves those high gravity beers. That was back in my bottling days like 10 years ago.
Some times those high gravity beers just need an extra 2 or 3 months to mellow before they hit their stride. Especially if you use honey to boost the sugar content.

OP
OP
Mr.Rocc

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only ever add sugar with imperials. I dont have the patients to let my beer sit that long and to be honest only stouts.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only ever add sugar with imperials. I dont have the patients to let my beer sit that long and to be honest only stouts.

Stouts typically have a lower ABV than lighter Ales. It doesn't take much longer to ferment extra sugar unless it is something like Honey. You can use corn sugar or regular table sugar like an extra pound in 5 gallons and it will take almost no extra time at all. For my beers, I keep them in the fermenter around 1-2 weeks and then into the keg. I stopped using a secondary fermenter long ago as it is a total waste of time and does nothing at all for the beer. The FarmHouse Ale goes into the closet for a few months of conditioning and everything else goes right into the kegerator for forced carbonation and drinking (if there is room I can only do 2 kegs on tap at a time).

From start to finish I can make an IPA on Saturday and be drinking it the next Saturday if I really want to force it. Usually though it is 3 weeks. 1-2 weeks fermenting and 1 week carbonating.

OP
OP
Mr.Rocc

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower then lighter ales? I dont know what kind of stouts you drink but i guess when you look at it in terms of Guinness than yes I agree. But the stouts I make and drink are normally 7%+. But I normally ferment my darker more bodied beers for a few months then into the keg. My breakfast stout cloneish ferments for 6-8 months and pulls a abv of about 7%.
But whenever I have added sugar and did my normal fermentation (its pretty much identical to yours) I get that alcohol taste and im not a huge fan of it so I ferment mine for longer if I add extra sugar.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower then lighter ales? I dont know what kind of stouts you drink but i guess when you look at it in terms of Guinness than yes I agree. But the stouts I make and drink are normally 7%+. But I normally ferment my darker more bodied beers for a few months then into the keg. My breakfast stout cloneish ferments for 6-8 months and pulls a abv of about 7%.
But whenever I have added sugar and did my normal fermentation (its pretty much identical to yours) I get that alcohol taste and im not a huge fan of it so I ferment mine for longer if I add extra sugar.

Yeah same here I pretty much use the same proportions of DME/LME/grain for all of my 5 gallon batches with the exception of the Belgian Trippel. Just the hop schedule changes. To be clear, I never add extra sugar other than what the recipe calls for :).

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as a slurry or just chunks?

I use 100% pure dark Hershey's unsweetened cocoa in powder form. I highly suggest you try this. It imparts a very subtle chocolate flavor and aroma into the beer. It will become a fan favorite. All of the solids come out with the trub. And unsweetened so you are not adding anything substantial.

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not brew but I make some really good wines with ro/di.
12.25% Strawberry Watermelon has a little kick to it. :)

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not brew but I make some really good wines with ro/di.
12.25% Strawberry Watermelon has a little kick to it. :)

With your next batch, try adding (fortifying) your strawberry wine with 1-2 cups to 3 gallon ratio of Everclear. You can thank me later!

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. That sounds potent. I am not sure I could get anyone to drink that. I don't drink much of the wine myself. I normally just have it around for people that come over or take it to parties for others.
I am a Jack guy. Lol

Tom Davey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone made Graff apple? I think on my next batch I and going to make a five gallons batch. My concern is I don't think I will be able to find unpasteurised apple cider. Has anyone used apple juice?

Sent from my XT1650 using REEF2REEF mobile app

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone made Graff apple? I think on my next batch I and going to make a five gallons batch. My concern is I don't think I will be able to find unpasteurised apple cider. Has anyone used apple juice?

Sent from my XT1650 using REEF2REEF mobile app

If I was going to make this I think I would look for an apple press and press my own.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back