Homebrewers UNITE!

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as like 3 people might know on here, I home brew and this year is my first year trying to grow my own hops. Here's what they look like today after a week.

IMG_20170517_184555911.jpg

IMG_20170517_184601655.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr.Rocc

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving soon so i have a Two hearted clone recipe that will be in the mix in about 2 weeks

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been interested in trying this out for a little bit, just haven't taken the time. Nearly took fermentation sciences as my major, but decided it might be a little more fun just to do on my own time. Haha

This thread has definitely given me interest again.... I might just have to do some reading... [emoji848][emoji57]

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those hops look pretty happy, I bet they'll be reaching the ceiling soon. What do you use the Centennial hops in? I have not used them before. I just cooked up a batch of a New Belgium 1554 clone today.

@Maddlesrain : If you're thinking about brewing something, just go for it!

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys use ro or rodi and add some elements back in for brewing?

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys use ro or rodi and add some elements back in for brewing?

Denver water is pretty optimal for brewing, I use it straight out of the tap... :) But it depends on what style you're shooting for, e.g. traditional Pilsners usually use softer water.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aurora water is Denver water that has been "used", filtered for solids and channeled to Aurora. Then it under goes state of the art filtration and blended with Denver water because some food chemicals like aspartame don't filter out and they need to get it under a certain ppm. Needless to say I filter all my reef and personal use water out here. Maybe just RO will do for brewing.

Larry, do you know what reservoir you get your denver water from?

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larry, do you know what reservoir you get your denver water from?

Not sure, we live near City Park. I hadn't heard about Aurora getting used water from Denver, I know they share some reservoirs and get overflow from Denver. In any case, I made some very good beer when I lived in Aurora (near Anschutz) without any extra treatment/tweaking.

OP
OP
Mr.Rocc

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 70/30 mix ro to tap water. My water blows around my neighborhood.
@Larry L I use centennial in any IPA that you want that grapefruit tangerineish smell and flavor. This is my first year ill be trying wet hopping though.
@Maddlesrain just like @Larry L said, just go for it. It is so much fun and intriguing I did it all through college and now as a pretend to be an adult.

OP
OP
Mr.Rocc

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first time trying it. However, its normally a April/May, depending on weather, to about July. So maybe 2 months, but we will see.

Tom Davey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also growing hops for the first time. The brewer from one of my favourite brewery's gave me six Verities from his family's nursery. We will see how it goes. Good luck to everyone's brewing adventures.
I live in San Diego so there is lots of help here for the home brewer. But I use the tap water for my boil and top off with spring water from the store all my batches come out pretty good.

OP
OP
Mr.Rocc

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O shoot, i dont top off at all. But I all grain brew so if it doesnt come out at 5 gallon.... then it doesnt come out at 5 gallons. Best of luck to you @Tom Davey on the hops I only have room for 2 varieties

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in eastern nc and I enjoy IPAs. Anyone close? I provide quality assurance services, free of charge! :)

OP
OP
Mr.Rocc

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL if you can get my nuvo back to its normal self after this algae bloom I just had I would send you a case! ha

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made 2 batches of beer on Sunday evening and by Monday morning they were both bubbling. This is the quickest fermentation start I think I've ever had. I do use a wort chiller. It is probably the best thing since dumping bottling and building a kegerator. I want to make 2 more batches though since I have 5 kegs total that I can fill. My Farmhouse ale benefits from 4-6 months of conditioning. Best to get a pipeline going!

OP
OP
Mr.Rocc

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats awesome!! Do you use a starter batch to get the yeast kickin? Once I starting making yeast starters, my abv increased, and there was an earlier fermentation process. Im going to make my clone and hopefully a ****** stout for the winter. What were the two you made, and what are the two you want to make?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back