Homemade iron supplement

  • Thread starter Thread starter Frag_mad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Oh crab, I just realised what I've got isn't chelated. dang.
 
I assume a product like this: Ferrous Gluconate Powder would give similar results?

Powder just seems easier to work with than tablets and you avoid some of the potential binding agents to keep it in tablet form.
 
I assume a product like this: Ferrous Gluconate Powder would give similar results?

Powder just seems easier to work with than tablets and you avoid some of the potential binding agents to keep it in tablet form.

I use ferrous gluconate powder. It was not as readily available when I started using the Fergon. There are diy recipes using the powder in the diy archive sticky.
 
I use ferrous gluconate powder. It was not as readily available when I started using the Fergon. There are diy recipes using the powder in the diy archive sticky.
How many grams of ferrous gluconate powder to ml to make a stock solution. How much would you dose in a 300 gallon system?
 
The DIY chemistry archive:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-chemistry-archive.987116/
from it:

Ferrous gluconate is about 11.6% iron.

If you want 0.04 mL of the additive to add 1 ug/L to 100 gallons (= 378.5 L), then that 0.04 mL needs to contain 378 ug of iron.

378 ug/0.04 mL = 9450 ug iron per mL

9450 ug iron needs 81.5 mg of ferrous gluconate.

Thus, if you add 8.15 grams (8,150 mg) into 100 ml of water, it will have the desired potency.


Iron levels are not critical, and folks use a wide range of targets.

Adding 1 ug/l once or twice a week seems like a fine plan to me. For 300 gallons, that means either use 0.12 mL, or dilute the stock solution 1 part solution above to 9 parts ro/di, and then dose 1.2 mL.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new