HOMEWRECKER Colony

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll admit. I was a big skeptic of this tenuis at first. Thought it was all hype. Lighting made the coral look good, it couldn’t be this nice. I tried holding out (cost prohibitive at first) as long as I could, then a local reefer offered one up and I took a gamble on it for $200. It left a lot to be desired, I felt initially. Green body with green polyps. Wow.

The polyps have always been out on my frag, and only tonight did I see it’s true potential coming in. Took maybe 3 months for it to settle in, and I’ll admit it’s a FAST grower, well worth the gamble and investment. This is the first time I’ve ever caught the colors on this frag, and it is starting to change my perception of it. Once it’s larger, I’m positive I’ll be wrong about how I used to feel about it.
5b0ee4e1d09e0e615e0e965ecf9dbff5.jpg

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty awesome seeing a huge HW colony. Most reefers start fragging it as soon as it’s big enough to get the clippers under a branch.

It looks nice, but that doesn't scream "Huge colony" to me..... Which is pretty much the problem with these highly priced acros..... nobody gives them a chance.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t argue with you. You’re the one who felt need to correct me. Twice.

I was agreeing, and still do, that it is nice, and also a shame that most (insert fancy hot coral of the day) are fragged way too small/soon/often etc

For sale posts that show the “mother colony” crack me up....... Corals should be cut when you’re out of room in my opinion. Oh well..... The price-speculators will drive some people mad..... there are tons reasonably suitable substitutes for every hyped up ‘rare’ coral

I still stand by the fact that it looks like a REALLY nice piece

B802BDBE-22DA-463C-A08D-9FC6204B806B.gif

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was agreeing, and still do, that it is nice, and also a shame that most (insert fancy hot coral of the day) are fragged way too small/soon/often etc

For sale posts that show the “mother colony” crack me up....... Corals should be cut when you’re out of room in my opinion. Oh well..... The price-speculators will drive some people mad..... there are tons reasonably suitable substitutes for every hyped up ‘rare’ coral

I still stand by the fact that it looks like a REALLY nice piece

B802BDBE-22DA-463C-A08D-9FC6204B806B.gif
Agreed
It is a really nice piece. As are all the HW that have been displayed on this thread. Hopefully I wont kill mine.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Reading this thread lol gives me a headache :). If people like it love it, hate, think it’s gorgeous, ugly, pick an option, it’s something that will never end in debate. It’s simple those who love it (buy enjoy it, try and make ridiculous amount of money selling it, or those who just want to enjoy it, then do so and be happy). For those who have an issue, so be it, don’t buy it save your money for what you deem worthy in your own eyes.

In terms of @Jon Fishman I also agree that most sps colonies that people think are huge usually are still small frags. Let it grow 2-3 years then see how big it is, or maybe clip it when it’s invading other space. In any event and sadly turns into the never ending debate. But as a hobbyist I can appreciate both sides because they deserve to have their own view. I will say I don’t agree with the price gouging and me personally could never do that. Even now I have always traded or given away frags just to have fun and have variety. I’m not looking to see how much I can spend or make (I have a job) I do it because I love to have a coral reef. In the chance it happens their are nicer reefs than mine (oh and there are tons (millions) then it gives me something to strive and work towards. I have no problem showing praise to someone for the amazing accomplishment of their reef. I don’t care how much they spent or earned, what I care about is how they have grown with it, and simply it makes them happy. Do I have the money to buy them yes, but do I no and sometimes I don’t even know why. Maybe someday years down the road sure, but at the moment I like finding corals people haven’t heard of such as Carl’s coral. (Yes there is such a coral). Millions of corals to choose from and they all make something beautiful. Just enjoy we are able to keep coral reefs.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Reading this thread lol gives me a headache :). If people like it love it, hate, think it’s gorgeous, ugly, pick an option, it’s something that will never end in debate. It’s simple those who love it (buy enjoy it, try and make ridiculous amount of money selling it, or those who just want to enjoy it, then do so and be happy). For those who have an issue, so be it, don’t buy it save your money for what you deem worthy in your own eyes.

In terms of @Jon Fishman I also agree that most sps colonies that people think are huge usually are still small frags. Let it grow 2-3 years then see how big it is, or maybe clip it when it’s invading other space. In any event and sadly turns into the never ending debate. But as a hobbyist I can appreciate both sides because they deserve to have their own view. I will say I don’t agree with the price gouging and me personally could never do that. Even now I have always traded or given away frags just to have fun and have variety. I’m not looking to see how much I can spend or make (I have a job) I do it because I love to have a coral reef. In the chance it happens their are nicer reefs than mine (oh and there are tons (millions) then it gives me something to strive and work towards. I have no problem showing praise to someone for the amazing accomplishment of their reef. I don’t care how much they spent or earned, what I care about is how they have grown with it, and simply it makes them happy. Do I have the money to buy them yes, but do I no and sometimes I don’t even know why. Maybe someday years down the road sure, but at the moment I like finding corals people haven’t heard of such as Carl’s coral. (Yes there is such a coral). Millions of corals to choose from and they all make something beautiful. Just enjoy we are able to keep coral reefs.
EACB0035-2CDA-4CC9-98AF-6A1A009FFF38.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back