Homewrecker guys: alk ? and frag replacement ? For all

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does anyone keep their hw at alk above 10? It's such a hardy piece and trying to figure out cause of death of it in a frag pack where everything else lived. I sent one to someone. Heat pack didn't activate. Arrived at 60 degrees with a little flesh but died shortly after. I blame the cold for sure. I replaced the frag with a much larger and nicer piece for free. Arrived perfectly fine with 2 other corals at good temp. I trust the coral was acclimated correctly but obviously can't guarantee it. Later in the day complete rtn but other 2 are fine. Only thing with good acclimation I can think happened is maybe it not liking the higher alk in the new system. My alk is around 8 and it went into around 11. So the coral has died and I've sent 2. First was pretty much a doa. I'm trying to do the right thing here but not sure exactly what that is. If it was a piece I had a monster colony of sure id replace it but these 2 possibly 3 pieces are likely more than half of my mini colony I have and id like to think i sold it at a very reasonable price. Any opinions would be great

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
11 wow that's pretty high. I run mine between 9.3 and 9.6 with high nutrients.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my system at what consider high Alk, ~10.6-10.7. I find that most all my acros are very sensitive to any ALK changes. Since I've always had high Alk I have just assumed acros are just like that but as I have come to leaner higher AlK takes time for corals to adjust to or from, I assume. Once they've been in place awhile seem great though. I still can not vision higher Alk causing a coral to RTN all its flesh in that short of time, I've never seen it. I did learn also high Alk also REQUIRES higher NO3, Flow, light, and feedings to achieve color and growth. Corals don't seem to be able to adjust themselves to unbalanced parameters. They are very much dependent on external controls keeping these all balanced. I guess because they can not regulate certain metabolic processes to account for these types of things. I've just learned to adjust my water conditions to their needs.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last edited:

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I'd require them to adjust their alk to yours before I'd send another if that's what you feel is the culprit

ReefersDirect

Reefers Direct
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We keep ours around 9 with low nitrates but heavy feedings for the tank, thats pretty high.
However, I would consider asking the customer what they dipped in. A lot of people do not dip properly and that could be the cause of loss as far as the second one is concerned. In which case that is not your fault.
Also, I don't think anyone replaces DOAs two times

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what dip was used and what acclimation process was used are the 2 main culprits I would say

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with both above points. Like I said I run higher ALK and not had problems. Never seen a acro RTN all flesh after just being added.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread. I always thought if they came in and were flourescing, they arrived alive. If they died after that it was on me. I've had more than a few that came in and didn't make it a week. And they came in orders with multiple frags and the other frags made it after being acclimated the same time and way. The ones that don't make it are usually the ones that you can tell were clipped and shipped. No heal Time, Fresh glue or putty.

Last edited:

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be curios to see the rest of this persons tank. Stuff happens and I've had some shipped frags die bye most of those came in rough. I've never had a frag come in super healthy and spontaneously die.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't know what to think. It's clearly not your fault. I haven't chimed in because I don't know how I would answer the underlying question of whether you should send them a third. It's a difficult situation.

ReefersDirect

Reefers Direct
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the buyer is asking for a second replacement they're usually the type of buyer that will issue a charge back in the event of non-replacement.
IMO its not really fair of them to ask for a second replacement if it came in fine but sometimes its just easier to replace a frag than it is to fight a paypal claim.
Is the customer paying for replacement shipping?
Did they tell you what they dipped with? In what concentration? For what duration?
Like I said, the first one you were responsible for, the second one I'm on the fence about

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back