Sps were doing great for about 8 months and now STN for 3 months

Doubleu1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 950 peninsula The tank is one year old today and the rock is about two years old.

For the First 8 months any sps frag I put in would start to grow very fast and would do just fine, from my Montiporas to Acros nothing was dying and they were thriving.
About 3 months ago my red Montipora digita started to show white and a few weeks after other SPS started to STN and over the last 3 months I have had some die very fast (my chalice corals) and others like the red monti digita are still half alive and dying very slow.
A little over a month ago I did a Triton ICP and it showed nothing negative. Nothing was to low or to high

I just put a stylophora frag in last week and it got burnt tips yesterday just like my bigger Stylophora colonies, and I have had no changes in parameters in the last week so its not a swing causing this its the current water. Only SPS not affected yet are my pocillopora colonies they are doing fine.

So my question is what could cause a thriving tank to now not allow mostly all sps, a lot of people say it takes time to mature but why would all the SPS grow for the first 7 months if it was not mature enough.
Any help is appreciated!

here are my parameters that go back a year https://aquaticlog.com/aquariums/bfamaquarium/3/parameters

Here are some pictures of my tank I have a lot of soft corals at one point I had over 60 different corals in here.

This is when my chalice coral started to die and went within a few days

This is the tank as of now

Last edited:

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you dosing trace elements? Or just doing the 40% water change once a month?

Are you getting enough flow in the tank? That tank looks very long. I don't see many big powerheads in there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Doubleu1992

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you dosing trace elements? Or just doing the 40% water change once a month?

Are you getting enough flow in the tank?
Yeah Just the 40% water change and the flow seems great no dead spots all corals moving in flow.

Upvote 0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 47 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 54 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.5%
Back