HomeWrecker under normal lighting?

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Update:
What I used to force the color change was a tested ratios of trace elements in small quantities mixed with a food paste. Each were individually placed into separate containers and feed to corals in a 3 min interval. A color change did occur but I think due to the volume of trace elements added, it was too much and caused the tissue of the coral to burn and regrow.

OP
OP
Peng

Peng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta have to admit that when I started the thread I never thought it would go past page 1 LOL.
Anyways you guys showed some very beautiful pictures of HW and I really appreciate that. Whether it's worth the money or not I'm sure everyone would have her/his own opinions.
I'm not sure on what normal lighting really is either since I was really just thinking when you leave all the bulbs on...so more like 15000K or lower. There were a couple of front-view pics. They are pretty nice too! Plus, it's a good investment.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the white frag plugs are ultra blue, I don't trust the pic.
There's no reason you can't take a pic of the coral showing it's true colors... if you know what you're doing.

And yes, coral colors can definitely change from tank to tank.

i-bH3Fgj7.jpg

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can give you a pretty long list of people lol
If you can color up a $1000 frag it very quickly turns into 10k, 20k in the long run

This is a whole different subject. People who buy to capitalize on these expensive corals. To me this is a hobby but to many this is an attempt to make an extra buck. I like these new pieces like the homewrecker but it brings out the worst in people as they just want to buy this tiny frag and frag the frag over and over and they never really see the actually coral. I like my corals to be as large as a baseball before i even think about touching them. But again, to each there own : )

OP
OP
Peng

Peng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tenuis may be easy to color up. But I wouldn't buy lokani (20k, 30k) frags to color them up... It will take forever and growth rate is extremely slow & initial loss of color is guaranteed.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tenuis may be easy to color up. But I wouldn't buy lokani (20k, 30k) frags to color them up... It will take forever and growth rate is extremely slow & initial loss of color is guaranteed.

Thats funny, I am 100% the opposite. I like the challenge : ) And agreed, the 20k lokani is one that takes forever to color up and to grow. I had a brown piece years ago that stayed dormant for nearly two years, then bam, color and growth out of nowhere.

OP
OP
Peng

Peng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats funny, I am 100% the opposite. I like the challenge : ) And agreed, the 20k lokani is one that takes forever to color up and to grow. I had a brown piece years ago that stayed dormant for nearly two years, then bam, color and growth out of nowhere.
Opposite here lol... I've purchased it more than 3 times they all ended up dying after a long no-growth period. So I turned to maricultured ones and had no trouble keeping the color and since it was a colony to start it's a show piece now even with a slow growth rate.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opposite here lol... I've purchased it more than 3 times they all ended up dying after a long no-growth period. So I turned to maricultured ones and had no trouble keeping the color and since it was a colony to start it's a show piece now even with a slow growth rate.

A bit off the subject......but its your thread. The 20k and 30k lokani are MH sps. I have never had them do well under any lighting other than MH. Probably the only sps i can say that about in 11-12yrs worth of sps keeping.

huuta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how I can't find a picture of the mother colony on his site but found a picture of a frag during the live sale.That picture of the frag is just like the one i saw in person at his booth but with a little more pink.Take for example the Hiller's aqua delight.The man Greg hiller said he wish his aqua delight look like that,nuff said.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, you could do this 1000X and you WILL NEVER get a tenius like the Homewrecker.

Where on Earth do you think these high end corals are coming from? There are a ton of businesses that do this for a living and supply the nice corals you guys are aquaculturing. If it wasn't for people doing this the aquaculture business would be at a standstill with all the same corals.

I also think the arguments and back and fourth is not going anywhere guys. We all have our points and it's nothing to take offense too. At least everyone should back up statements with pictures, since that's what this thread is about. I have not seen any more daylight pictures of the hw either. And come on guys we all know what daylight is! Daylight would be a whiter spectrum with not a ton of blue pushing through it...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And come on guys we all know what daylight is! Daylight would be a whiter spectrum with not a ton of blue pushing through it...
So... is 20k daylight for you? That's where my reef stays. Btw, the reason this is a question is bc I've seen people specify 10k as daylight. For the OP, it's 15k. So, apparently we do not all agree on what "daylight" means...terms like "whiter" and "a ton of blue" are also subjective...which is why it's easier to speak in spectrum ranges...it just makes sure we're all talking about the same thing. *shrugs*

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the white frag plugs are ultra blue, I don't trust the pic.
There's no reason you can't take a pic of the coral showing it's true colors... if you know what you're doing.

And yes, coral colors can definitely change from tank to tank.

i-bH3Fgj7.jpg

Awesome pics. I wish I had this skill.

I appreciate it when some online vendors specify the lighting they used to take their pictures. It is good a reference point how the coral might look like in my own tank.

I really hope that the homewrecker looks like it does under Blue/Coral+ T-5s or a Radium MH tank. Can't wait till it gets around $200 a frag to find out. Probably won't have wait too much longer. It's $699 on Jason Fox's site for almost a week so I am guessing that's the ceiling price for the HW is already lower than that.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daylight would be a picture where frag plugs are white. The look of a overdriven radium with no suppliment or even better a 10k or 12k look. Some 14k bulbs look white, pheonix, and some look super blue especially some of the cheaper bulbs.
LEDs make describing color by kelvin ratings even harder. Some call all blues at 100% and barely any whites on 20k...

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There aren't any "whiter spectrum" pics. It's just not that common with today's tank setup especially since a bluer spectrum with nutrient control is pushed to promote better coloration.

As for colony pics, non-existent.

Also, yes I was trolling earlier because I found it humorous in the attempt to defend this coral. However, I seriously dislike the fact that people use classism to justify belittling others who don't value the coral at its price tag or just simply can't/won't allocate funds at such amount for a coral. I personally can buy this coral 20+ times over. Will I? No but I could if I wanted. Do I think people that did are foolish? No, it's their money. Do I believe this coral looks exactly like the release photo? No times infinity.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Daylight would be a picture where frag plugs are white. The look of a overdriven radium with no suppliment or even better a 10k or 12k look. Some 14k bulbs look white, pheonix, and some look super blue especially some of the cheaper bulbs.
LEDs make describing color by kelvin ratings even harder. Some call all blues at 100% and barely any whites on 20k...
I'm running radions at 20k per EcoSmartLive settings. Actually, I'm mistaken...I switched to their SPS AB+ program which is 18.5k. My lights never get any "whiter" than that, and based on what "daylight" on the reef is, blue in the spectrum would still be "daylight". Btw, the "whiter" or yellower you run lights, the more drab any corals will look...colors just start looking lackluster under anything much whiter than 14k IMHO.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I'm mistaken...I switched to their SPS AB+ program which is 18.5k.
Same here. So for reference, the pic of frags I posted above is exactly what they look like under this lighting.

Flyingbulldog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
The honest vendors push pictures in different lighting and show more then one pic. If it is one high resolution picture. There is a reason for it. ---It is the best edited picture and the real white one won't sell to an impulse buyer.

OP
OP
Peng

Peng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's state the Kevins you are using to take the picture as the reference so instead of trying to define what daylight is we simply label the Kevins used so that people can see how HW looks under different light spec.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back