HomeWrecker under normal lighting?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get some updated pictures guys?
I had no intentions of ever owning a homewrecker frag but I stopped by a friends house and he had the best display of high end acropora I have EVER seen. Everything was grown without a bunch of blue light and it all looked better than the pictures I have seen online. I was there to buy a pink caddy frag and ended up buying a nice small homewrecker frag for $80! It was a nice looking coral, but it didn't really compare to most of the other corals in the tank. The polyps and coralites did have a lot more fluorescent pigments in them than your average tenuis. I would love to see everyones updates.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get some updated pictures guys?
I had no intentions of ever owning a homewrecker frag but I stopped by a friends house and he had the best display of high end acropora I have EVER seen. Everything was grown without a bunch of blue light and it all looked better than the pictures I have seen online. I was there to buy a pink caddy frag and ended up buying a nice small homewrecker frag for $80! It was a nice looking coral, but it didn't really compare to most of the other corals in the tank. The polyps and coralites did have a lot more fluorescent pigments in them than your average tenuis. I would love to see everyones updates.

Can I come over?! Haha that’s an incredible deal!

I just picked up a frag. Taken under halide with Hamilton bulb.
604bc48de39e8ff3a3330d409ef56614.jpg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coronus thats a beautiful colony, I love the pink in the branches.

Boom it was a crazy deal, he MADE me buy it at that price, it is just a little smaller than yours with just one branch. I got like 5 other high end large frags at 40 a piece, made my day.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coronus thats a beautiful colony, I love the pink in the branches.

Boom it was a crazy deal, he MADE me buy it at that price, it is just a little smaller than yours with just one branch. I got like 5 other high end large frags at 40 a piece, made my day.
Thank you very much. It is my favorite acro in my collection. I love them all but that pink gets me every time.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel frustrated with mine, as I’m not pulling the pinks I’m seeing others getting, even in heavy blues. Here’s a recent shot of mine in daylight.
A6D7EE22-1B36-4B0E-9952-2EFBF18F8C18.jpeg

Here’s a few weeks after I first got it, which looked so promising.
9E05728C-7475-42ED-ACDE-43883C450B11.jpeg

Any suggestions as to how to color it up? It grows quickly, just lost the pink. Got the blue terminal polyps though.

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy here we go again. Yes it's simply an A. tenuis, and good luck finding an image of 12-14,000k that looks anything like the product pictures. It's essentially the new Walt Disney.

I have WD and HW colony right next to each other. They're not the same at all

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're just making a claim that all reputable vendors use photography and photoshop to manipulate and deceive customers? Again, this sounds like an unhealthy amount of skepticism that's built on a preconceived bias. Not everyone is honest, but IME in this hobby, more people are honest than not, and that goes for vendors just as much as hobbyists.

I got to disagree with you here. Not necessarily with hobbyist being dishonest, but certainly the vendors. Aside from a small handful of vendors (Live Aquaria DD, Unique Corals) the vast majority overphotoshop their images. (Heck many sellers here on R2R do it. ) Take any picture from WWC, reduce the saturation by 50-60% (yes really) and you'll actually get a realistic representation of what you're buying and what it will actually look like in real life. (Granted WWC corals always seem to arrive very healthy, but it terms of photopshop, they're absolutely ridiculous.) And many many many vendors do this as well. Frankly, more do than don't.

I don't think pointing this out is unhealthy skepticism. If anything I think we don't spend enough time putting our foot down with practices like these. I think the small size of the hobby coupled with the fact many people treat these vendors less like a business and more like a friend, is exactly what lets companies get away with so much anti-consumer behavior.

But ultimately people buy this stuff, so I don't know how we'd convince vendors to stop. If only "vote with your wallet" actually did anything :/

Edit: I just realized I replied to a comment from 2017 lol. Didn't think I was in an old thread.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 46 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back