Hoping to get a Mandarin

case54

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am new to reefing and have a 55 gallon tank. I really wanted a mandarin when I first started, but thought it might be impractical. Now I have had my tank for 10 months, and learned what refugiums are. I have at least 20lbs of live rock and my parameters are steady. I have a royal gramma, 2 clown fish, 2 cardinals, a pistol shrimp, and a watchman goby. Do you think it is practical for me to get one? I was hoping to maybe use one of those porous refugiums that you put in the tank. Or do you think that wouldn’t be able to sustain enough pods? Thanks in advance!
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

#WelcometoR2R

You can try to grow 'pods in a refugium inside the tank (check out a 'Pod Hotel) or you can use a Hang On Back refugium, you can even DIY one out of a HOB filter, like an AquaClear.

You can buy or grow your own 'pods and add them regularly to keep the population in your tank going strong for the Mandarin.

And last, consider purchasing a tank-raised Mandarin from Biota Marine, these fish are already conditioned to eat prepared foods like pellets, so they are said to be much easier to feed vs. wild caught fish that will only eat 'pods.

And you'll for sure want Biota's Mandarin shorts:
https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/search?type=product&q=mandarin*

Good luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new