Hot Hot Hot

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What heater and thermometer were you using? I am not sure I have seen one for aquariums go much above 90. Also is the water cloudy, the heat can cause precipitation.

Edit. Unless you are on a controller, but that shouldn’t be set that high from what I would think

Dennco2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use a set up with over temp protection how ever you want to go about it.

OP
OP
ShellSea

ShellSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. This happened in my mixing brute can. Not the tank.
I had 2 - 300 watt titanium heaters that have no built in thermostats in the can that I did not unplug.
That’s HOW it happened. I know how it happened that was my concern.
No one seem to have any comment on what impact, if any, raising the temperature of saltwater to extreme numbers might have on chemical composition of the water. At this point I have gone ahead and used it, (after it cooled down to 79). Checked calcium and all which were acceptable.

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a pretty impressive heater!

I would look things over well and see if it has taken on some water. If you had it set to high, and it went super hot, I would adjust it down and see if it shuts off. If it does, I would not hesitate to use it again. However I always use a separate thermostat controller along with my heater. Amazon for $25 with a titanium probe. It acts as a secondary shut off or on if the thermostat on my heaters go out.

In the past (85 to 2005) I have not had issues with heaters going out and burning up a tank. There were a set that came out over the past 5 years that started cooking peoples tanks.

Put it in a 5 gallon bucket and see if it shuts off at the temp you have it set for. If it does, then add a second thermostat to it so that if the built in thermostat burns out, you will still be safe.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, your water will be fine once it cools down to a more normal temperature. Unless you're setting up a tank on, say, Venus????

Michael Gilbreath

we all have are ways
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water should be fine but would check over heater make sure if plastic wrapped it did not split or bubble up and yes I read its your mixing heater. Cant say that I would put controller on it unless you have it running all the time in bucket 24/7

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the higher temperature would kill all the good and bad bacteria, living organisms, and some on the elements in the salt. I would suggest dumping the water and mixing a new batch and know that the water is right.

@Randy Holmes-Farley would be the person to give a definitive answer.:)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Test salinity to see what it reads but my guess is that the traces were affected by high heat and changed aesthetics of salt mix. However for simple water changes or adding water may be ok to use

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back