HotRocks SPS Dominant 425XL. Yes, Another Tank...

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive. When do you find time to work man? Qt’ing fish, answering questions in the disease section, setting up a new tank......
What are you dosing besides the acro power?
Looking good. Those gyres should be the ticket.
Jim
Thanks Jim,

You wouldn't believe me if I told you how much I work lol.

@4FordFamily can vouch. I work a solid 70+hrs a week.

Well since I am a disease nerd I have to keep the tank fish less for 76 days :)

So I am dosing nitrate and Phosphate to keep nutrients registering until I can add fish. It's proven to be a serious challenge I can't lie. Fallow periods were a breeze until I started playing with SPS.

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)Just get the skim mate from 4FordFamily’s fish only tank. That ought to grow those sticks.
I have the same problem, 3 butterflies and 5 small cardinal fish in my big system just doesn’t grow much coral. I quit the acro power due to cyno but will resume it once I get things balanced out better.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)Just get the skim mate from 4FordFamily’s fish only tank. That ought to grow those sticks.
I have the same problem, 3 butterflies and 5 small cardinal fish in my big system just doesn’t grow much coral. I quit the acro power due to cyno but will resume it once I get things balanced out better.
I've considered adding skimmate from my 750. I just didn't know if it would create any issues or not.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, Where did you get all that Rock? Looks like the real thing. Im working on how to stuff everything into my 425, did you upgrade all the plumbing? GL

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If its established rock should be good to go. Biodiversity seems to.be key at least when using dry rock from the start . I used a bunch if zeobak and tons of pods in the beginning i.think.that helped

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, Where did you get all that Rock? Looks like the real thing. Im working on how to stuff everything into my 425, did you upgrade all the plumbing? GL
LR came from LFS. He had it in his coral system for a few weeks. When I picked up my tank I put it all in a Rubbermaid bin with a heater and flow. Added a bottle of bacteria. Then it sat there for a few more weeks while I set up the tank.

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, excited to follow along. I've been fallow for almost three months with SPS. I have to say it has been a challenge. I'm trying to unload some Chaeto to keep nutrients up and dosing nitrate at the same time. Looking forward to having fish again!

I've seen some definite slowing in growth on several frags and even lost a couple unfortunately.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, excited to follow along. I've been fallow for almost three months with SPS. I have to say it has been a challenge. I'm trying to unload some Chaeto to keep nutrients up and dosing nitrate at the same time. Looking forward to having fish again!

I've seen some definite slowing in growth on several frags and even lost a couple unfortunately.
It definitely doesn't make it easy. @Crabs McJones has gone through the same thing. I figured best to get it over with. If the frags aren't thriving I can live with it. Just don't want to lose any.

If I'd quit buying coral I could get fish in the tank sooner! ;Blackeye

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely doesn't make it easy. @Crabs McJones has gone through the same thing. I figured best to get it over with. If the frags aren't thriving I can live with it. Just don't want to lose any.

If I'd quit buying coral I could get fish in the tank sooner! ;Blackeye
Lost a whole birdsnest colony because of it :(

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Land of the acro frag LOL! ;)

Couple new frags on the way from live sales over the weekend.
107796.jpeg
107800.jpeg
107790.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Land of the acro frag LOL! ;)

Couple new frags on the way from live sales over the weekend.
107796.jpeg
107800.jpeg
107790.jpeg

This grow out progression is gonna be awesome to watch unfold.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This grow out progression is gonna be awesome to watch unfold.
Thanks Rich!

I do have a few final frags that I got over the weekend. I got sucked into the live sales. LOL!

It should be fun. I can't wait until I can add my first round of fish! My acros need fish poop!

I also got a killer frag pack from @FraghouseCorals over the weekend as well. Highly recommend using him if you ever get the opportunity! The value in just sending him your color/quality preference and letting him build a custom pack based on your budget is huge!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rushbattle

Update on the nitrate/phosphate dosing...

Parameters:
Temp 78
Salinity 1.025
Mag 1350
Calcium 425
Alk 8.5
Nitrate 1
Phosphate .03
Iodine <.03

I have been dosing much less now that everything is transferred from my nano frag system into the permanent tank (425)

I am just dosing a couple ml daily of both brightwell neonitro and neophos to keep the levels registering on a test kit. Everything is holding color and I have growth. Due to my system being so young my pH is lower than I would like 7.9-8.1

I am also dosing aminos every few days (again much lower than recommend dosage) and then I am doing a weekly 50/50 target feeding of reef chili + reef roids.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rushbattle

Update on the nitrate/phosphate dosing...

Parameters:
Temp 78
Salinity 1.025
Mag 1350
Calcium 425
Alk 8.5
Nitrate 1
Phosphate .03
Iodine <.03

I have been dosing much less now that everything is transferred from my nano frag system into the permanent tank (425)

I am just dosing a couple ml daily of both brightwell neonitro and neophos to keep the levels registering on a test kit. Everything is holding color and I have growth. Due to my system being so young my pH is lower than I would like 7.9-8.1

I am also dosing aminos every few days (again much lower than recommend dosage) and then I am doing a weekly 50/50 target feeding of reef chili + reef roids.
The Acropora seem to be liking it so far. I think you are doing well with a fishless system. I have stopped everything except for golden pearls dosing twice a day. I had to take off the mechanical filtration because I couldn’t keep any N or P in the water. Adding some more CUC and shrimp to up the bioload in my fishless tank in a few days, do you have any urchins or shrimp, etc?

Are you keeping the nano for a frag tank so you can keep newly purchased frags fallow before adding to your display?

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rich!

I do have a few final frags that I got over the weekend. I got sucked into the live sales. LOL!

It should be fun. I can't wait until I can add my first round of fish! My acros need fish poop!

I also got a killer frag pack from @FraghouseCorals over the weekend as well. Highly recommend using him if you ever get the opportunity! The value in just sending him your color/quality preference and letting him build a custom pack based on your budget is huge!

Lookin forward to seeing the new arrivals... when u get time I'd love some close ups!

It took every ounce of strength in me not to peep into the live sales... still trying to avoid to leftovers, and my LFS just sent out an alert, buy 3 get 2 free. ERRRGGGG.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Acropora seem to be liking it so far. I think you are doing well with a fishless system. I have stopped everything except for golden pearls dosing twice a day. I had to take off the mechanical filtration because I couldn’t keep any N or P in the water. Adding some more CUC and shrimp to up the bioload in my fishless tank in a few days, do you have any urchins or shrimp, etc?

Are you keeping the nano for a frag tank so you can keep newly purchased frags fallow before adding to your display?
Lol. No I am not keeping the nano. I will eventually build a frag system because I will not actively add anything to this system (without proper QT) once I have completed the fallow period and add my fish. The nano proved difficult to keep proper flow and lighting. As well as the small volume made stability difficult. I would like to build a 100ish gallon frag system. Maybe this winter :)

I did use the nano to stock my entire 750xxl with softies and LPS without any issues at all. @4FordFamily and I have QTd quite a bit of coral with that little tank. It's time to retire her because I just can't deal with so many tanks running. (I have 5 other tanks in my basement dedicated to QTing fish totaling 365 gallons).

I do have a dozen hermits and a single cleaner shrimp in the acro tank.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin forward to seeing the new arrivals... when u get time I'd love some close ups!

It took every ounce of strength in me not to peep into the live sales... still trying to avoid to leftovers, and my LFS just sent out an alert, buy 3 get 2 free. ERRRGGGG.
Here you go @RichtheReefer21

Yes I am in trouble once I get started. The live sales are brutal because you buy a frag at a time which doesn't seem bad until you get to the end and total it all up ;Blackeye.

Here are my JF frags that came today!

109100.jpeg

JF Hateraid

109103.jpeg

JF Enchanted forest BN

109107.jpeg

JF Frankie's Gumdrop

109110.jpeg

JF Marvin the Martian

109109.jpeg

JF Green Goblin

109105.jpeg

JF Frankie's Fireweed

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back