How about stainless steel in the reef tank?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The general consensus is no. I can't recall who, but recently someone had a high tin level in their ICP test and traced it back to stainless steel tweezers.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stainless steel comes in many different alloys of steel, chromium, molybdenum, and nickel are the most common constituents. Very rarely outside the medical field are you provided with that alloy(316, 420, and 440 usually). They also rarely state if it is plated in another alloy as a finish, which usually has a low corrosion resistance.

ikanayam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are varying grades of stainless steel, but from what I gather the corrosion resistance is somewhat related to levels of chromium and nickel.

This article talks about leaching of both in a somewhat acidic (Tomato sauce) and high temperature environment.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4284091/

However, this one seems to indicate that leaching occurs in both acidic and alkali environments.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00192042

The most common discussion was around the amount of chromium leaching as it seem the amount of nickel is negligible. I think if the stainless steel if used occasionally then I would assume it would have a negligible impact. What I don't know is what happens when the stainless is submerged over a long period of time, and weather the level of chromium leaching out has any significant impact on the livestock in the tank.

ikanayam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another point to note, I've bought so called Medical Grade Stainless Tweezers from that big auction site. Used it a few times in my tank, and it rusted even after rinsing it in freshwater. So your milage may vary on the stainless steel you get.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it certainly varies by grade, and perhaps also with what your definition of acceptable really is.

I used two float switches for 20 years without issue, and they had 316 stainless steel arms.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
High grade SS with good corrosion resistance might work, but it's a lot of $$$. Why risk it?

I saw someone selling a SS Aqua UV locally recently, and same thought crossed my mind. But it's meant for a house, not for our Reefs, and I wouldn't risk it in my tank.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard stainless you get is typically 304 higher grades are typically 316. These both are susceptible to chloride corrosion and pitting. So for long term exposure to saltwater it’s no good. If you go for a super duplex (read $$$$) like AL6XN or something similar you would be good for long term use . If you need something metal I would recommend titanium

Bmezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why bother? all glass tanks are not expensive. Acrylic tanks are beautiful.. why risk stainless steel?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other side Some stainless components i find a life saver. Like mentioned above impeller shafts would me the main one. I cant say if i have or have not lost livestock to anything leaching. I can say i have lost fish to a ceramic shaft cracking while away.

Bmezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other side Some stainless components i find a life saver. Like mentioned above impeller shafts would me the main one. I cant say if i have or have not lost livestock to anything leaching. I can say i have lost fish to a ceramic shaft cracking while away.
Well then go for itnin stainless if that's important!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back