Steel Stands?

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are these reef ready systems so expensive yet still use particle board stands? I never understood this. I really like the styling of the AF Ocean Guard tanks and am highly interested in upgrading to a 200 gallon system in the near future. But the stands are what really confuse me. I understand that a particle board stand has very high compressive strength but I feel it would be an absolute sin to not have a 200 gallon system sitting on a square tube steel frame. It’s mighty overkill but steel tubing and high quality welds (or even just bolted together with stainless hardware) would make me feel so much better.

I do not see any real cons to this other than saltwater corrosion but I cannot imagine a steel reef stand getting anything more than surface rust. That cannot be anything close to the degradation of wood in humid/wet conditions.

Just appears to me like a simple oversight/budgeting constraint that should seriously stop being overlooked.

Thoughts?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased my 1st extruded aluminum stand (80/20), I'll never touch wood or that particle board crap again. Between the simplicity, strength and portability of it they are the only way to go. Yeah you gotta skin the stand but that's easy enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased my 1st extruded aluminum stand (80/20), I'll never touch wood or that partial board crap again. Between the simplicity, strength and portability of it they are the only way to go. Yeah you gotta skin the stand but that's easy enough.
Not only that but you can easily replace the facade panels whenever

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are these reef ready systems so expensive yet still use particle board stands? I never understood this. I really like the styling of the AF Ocean Guard tanks and am highly interested in upgrading to a 200 gallon system in the near future. But the stands are what really confuse me. I understand that a particle board stand has very high compressive strength but I feel it would be an absolute sin to not have a 200 gallon system sitting on a square tube steel frame. It’s mighty overkill but steel tubing and high quality welds (or even just bolted together with stainless hardware) would make me feel so much better.

I do not see any real cons to this other than saltwater corrosion but I cannot imagine a steel reef stand getting anything more than surface rust. That cannot be anything close to the degradation of wood in humid/wet conditions.

Just appears to me like a simple oversight/budgeting constraint that should seriously stop being overlooked.

Thoughts?
Wood flat pack components are inexpensive and easily made with standard tooling, in house or jobbed. They can be any color and are easily shipped and assembled.

Steel is heavy, requires different tooling and skillsets and is less common for furniture jobbers, so more expensive at every turn. A steel stand would still need to be skinned to be comparable to most retail stands. This adds more labor, cost and complexity.

The vendors in the "fish" hobby as a whole do not cater to and do not really care about what a few high end niche people want. They manufacture and sell what can be pushed through an LFS at a reasonable cost and high profit margin. We (this hobby) is a blip on the radar. "Daddy I want a fish tank" and "We need a 200 gallon aquarium for the office, call the fish store and tell the to send somebody" are the bulk of their business.

Harpo

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All of my previous stands were 2x4. Particle boards is crap. For my new build it will be extruded aluminum only. I have two more to assemble. Super easy although not cheap but nothing in this hobby is cheap.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood flat pack components are inexpensive and easily made with standard tooling, in house or jobbed. They can be any color and are easily shipped and assembled.

Steel is heavy, requires different tooling and skillsets and is less common for furniture jobbers, so more expensive at every turn. A steel stand would still need to be skinned to be comparable to most retail stands. This adds more labor, cost and complexity.

The vendors in the "fish" hobby as a whole do not cater to and do not really care about what a few high end niche people want. They manufacture and sell what can be pushed through an LFS at a reasonable cost and high profit margin. We (this hobby) is a blip on the radar. "Daddy I want a fish tank" and "We need a 200 gallon aquarium for the office, call the fish store and tell the to send somebody" are the bulk of their business.
I just do not understand the price. I can have a local shop weld a 2x2 square steel stand for $1000 and have a custom tank made for $4500. So why would I spend an extra $3000 for a sump and plumbing. It’s not really the quality it’s the pricing honestly.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my previous stands were 2x4. Particle boards is crap. For my new build it will be extruded aluminum only. I have two more to assemble. Super easy although not cheap but nothing in this hobby is cheap.
Crap is a matter of opinion. Every material has pros and cons. Composites like particle board wafer board and MDF have been used for decades with success. They just may not fit your criteria or preference.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just do not understand the price. I can have a local shop weld a 2x2 square steel stand for $1000 and have a custom tank made for $4500. So why would I spend an extra $3000 for a sump and plumbing. It’s not really the quality it’s the pricing honestly.
As I mentioned above, the vast majority of the demographic wants to walk into petco or their LFS and say "I want that, can you set it up for me?". This is what the manufacturers cater to. The selling price has to be reasonable and the profit margin (both for the OEM and the wholesaler and retailer) has to make sense.

YOU are a niche customer. If you want custom, by all means go have a local shop build a stand and order a custom tank. That is not the market that RedSea, Oceanic, Waterbox, MarinLand or whoever is catering to.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a FYI on the big brand (RS, Waterbox..etc) reef ready systems use plywood, not particle board. Still not as strong as solid wood lumber or steel but a far cry from particle board.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a FYI on the big brand (RS, Waterbox..etc) reef ready systems use plywood, not particle board. Still not as strong as solid wood lumber or steel but a far cry from particle board.
Plywood and composites (chip board, wafer wheel, particle board, mdf, hdf, glu-lam, etc.) are often stronger (as well as being more dimensionally stable) than "solid wood". Plywood comes in many forms, but for the most part MDF is used instead because it is more stable, easier to machine and flatter.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used wood, steel, and now aluminum. Steel wont rust if its properly coated.
My IM stand is nice. I am building an 8020 frame behind it to keep all euipment in. It will also be used to hold my hybrid lighting fixture.
Wood has and will work for years if properly treated.
Couple pics of my 8020 i am working on.
20231223_092753.jpg
20231223_092803.jpg

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned above, the vast majority of the demographic wants to walk into petco or their LFS and say "I want that, can you set it up for me?". This is what the manufacturers cater to. The selling price has to be reasonable and the profit margin (both for the OEM and the wholesaler and retailer) has to make sense.

YOU are a niche customer. If you want custom, by all means go have a local shop build a stand and order a custom tank. That is not the market that RedSea, Oceanic, Waterbox, MarinLand or whoever is catering to.
I suppose I am niche. I just wish more people realized their buying power if they didn’t just take a reef ready tank off the shelf. More for me I guess.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose I am niche. I just wish more people realized their buying power if they didn’t just take a reef ready tank off the shelf. More for me I guess.
I think you kind of miss the point, most people just want simplicity or don't have the knowledge or skill to leverage their "buying power".

One guy can in 10,000 can build a house and save a fortune. One guy in a 10,00- can't build a house but can act as his own GC and sub out everything and save a lot... 9,998 guys in a 10,000 can't do either and just buy a house that somebody else built.

The vast majority of fish tank owners are not DIYers or have any desire to part things out. They want to literally walk into a store and say "I will take that kit".

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts?
I've always built my own stands from plywood and/or 2x4. If I go larger in tank size in the future, I'd go with the extruded aluminum with plywood panels. Best of both worlds and no rust or need to powder coat/paint steel and deal with rust.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily the Australian have seen the light with Cade making their stands out of aluminium and glass. Incredibly durable and beautiful!

I agree with you, i'd never trust a large tank on a stand what no reinforcements.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of the stands are made from plywood, not particle board. Plywood is very strong and durable. Personally I think steel and aluminum stands are ugly, but that's a personal preference and to each their own. That said, for anything large I have always built my own stands out of 4x4 with dados and inset 2x4. Easy to customize, super strong, great longevity, and easy to customize. If I were going to go 200 gallons or larder I would use 4x6 posts and dado them to inset 4x4s. Pine is cheap and durable and easy to work with. Treat it to keep the water out and it will last longer than you will.

But the point is, aluminum or steel stands are expensive, and if that's what you want it's easy enough to spend the money and have one made. Or make one, but I don't weld, I'm a wood worker. The average person doesn't want or need that. We are a very niche hobby.

For smaller tanks, plywood is inexpensive and more than adequate. I'm starting a nano build now, and will probably have a small custom acrylic cube done and just put it on one of these prefab stands to save myself a build.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 120 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back