How aggressive are non-Ocellaris / Percula Clowns?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How aggressive are non-Ocellaris / Percula Clowns? For those of who who don’t have one of the two as your Clownfish, how well are yours behaving in a community tank? Is pairing as straightforward for other Clown species compared to the Occys and Perculas?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on the species, the maroons are quite aggressive and different to pair. with maroons it is ideal to grow one out to female size 3"+ before introducing a male in an acclamation box, evaluating aggression before releasing the male to the female.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some species are more aggressive but a lot has to do with the size of the fish compared to other clowns, the bigger the clown, the more space it commands and the bigger it's teeth.

Pairing can be rough with any clown but more aggressive species can cause more problems. The clarkii and tomato complexes have the most aggressive species ime whereas the skunks and saddlebacks are much less feisty.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Clarkiis are looking sort of tempting to me but it’s the aggression that I’m worried about. Would you say they aren’t safe to keep with most other fish in a tank just under 100 gallons in the 90-100 gallon range?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back