How amazing is it that we can grow coral in a glass box in our living room?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How amazing is it that we can grow coral in a glass box in our living room?

Most of the time we get "reef glazed" where we forget to stop, take time and really appreciate what's happening in front of us! To know that I am able to turn 3 polys of zoanthids into 150 or a brown acropora frag into a vibrant blue multi-branching animal is just.....wow.

When you take time to just take a step back, what really wows you about you reef?

bigstock-Lakers-Scroll-Coral-In-Reef-Aq-384471878.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water." wrote the anthropologist Loren Eisely

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it amazing how we are able to keep these things alive and mostly thriving in such a confined area.

Being from South Florida I’ve seen first hand the decline of the natural reefs and while it can bounce back it seems to be much harder in the wild then in our tanks.

Just today I was snorkeling a spot that has had very limited staghorn growth in recent years and today it seemed to be all over the place. Granted mini colonies compared to 10 years ago but still hundreds of softball size colonies and a few sections of dinner plate size colonies. It’s been a 6-8 months since I’ve been there and I was glad to see it!

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will submit that like some many other things in the natural world, it is all by design, to reveal to us the awesome power and mind of the one that created them, so that we might seek to know him more. Sadly, too often today we either stop at just admiring the natural order or substitute the absurd idea that millions of years of random events could create such rich functional complexity and beauty.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could only successfully grow tomatoes on my back porch like I grow out some of my zoas.... I'd be one happy camper.

I can eat some serious home grown tomatoes like I'm eating STEAK

barney bear garden GIF

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What isn't amazing about a reef tank? Who knew clown fish start as a male and turns into a female? Who knew anemones rip themselves apart to multiply? Who knew corals have chemical warfare over real-estate?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back