OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get that nitrate up! Way too low for corals. Calcium is good but I like to keep it around 490, salinity is too low, aim for 1.024-1.026. Overall a 3 month old tank is still too young for harder to keep corals, I would even say it's too young for that frogspawn...
I will get the salinity up right now. I was told that frog slaw is a good coral.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I am going to buy a phosphate test kit. Witch Hanna checker is better phosphate low range or ultra low? I went to my local fish store the other day to have them test my phosphate and they said phosphate was zero. How can I increase phosphate?
I use the ultra low range

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get the salinity up right now. I was told that frog slaw is a good coral.
You could also use some reefroids to increase phos
With very careful application mind you as it can send phosphate through the roof & you can end up see-sawing it up and down with GFO.not good for corals.with regular testing you will know how much to add.this varies by system.you are at the stage where daily testing, recording of data & tweaks to dosing & feeding are integral.its boring yes but vital to find out what your system needs.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With very careful application mind you as it can send phosphate through the roof & you can end up see-sawing it up and down with GFO.not good for corals.with regular testing you will know how much to add.this varies by system.you are at the stage where daily testing, recording of data & tweaks to dosing & feeding are integral.its boring yes but vital to find out what your system needs.
Got it I will continue to test my water.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The things you have will be ok at the parameters you have IMHO - All of your problems will be solved with more livestock (when you add your QT'd fish) - and feeding them. IMHO - do not rapidly change multiple things. You can use the advice of various people here for sure - however - don't rush to increase nitrate, phosphorous, salinity, etc - You can take a quart of water out of the tank daily - and adding a quart of water with SG 1.026 until the SG rises. There is no emergency. :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Salinity this low and your corals won’t like it. Fish only is very much possible.

Nitrates and phosphates are a food source. Just add some saltwater and everything will go up and be in the desired spot. Your magnesium is also on the low side. This should be 1350 at least imo and if you’re going to keep SPS LPS (especially LPS) they enjoy at least 1400 magnesium
This is my philosophy - and perhaps off topic - but not really. Nitrate and PO4 are a food source. However - with corals - light is also a food source for the zooxanthellae inside of them. They are what use the nitrate and Phosphorous - and provide other nutrients for the coral. The key is - if they can outcompete the algae, etc, for this - there will be no problems - even with a nitrate of 0. A nitrate of 0 does not mean no nitrate is being produced - it only means it's being utilized immediately/quickly. Same with PO4 - So - for coral growth many people recommend a positive nitrate and color - which is true - in reality - a nitrate of 0 is not 'dangerous'.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I loved this post because of the second sentence - 'it can send phosphate through the roof'. Thus - I don't recommend anything except adding your fish, feeding them, letting the NO3 and PO4 rise naturally (and they will).

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The things you have will be ok at the parameters you have IMHO - All of your problems will be solved with more livestock (when you add your QT'd fish) - and feeding them. IMHO - do not rapidly change multiple things. You can use the advice of various people here for sure - however - don't rush to increase nitrate, phosphorous, salinity, etc - You can take a quart of water out of the tank daily - and adding a quart of water with SG 1.026 until the SG rises. There is no emergency. :)
Ok that’s for the advice.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my philosophy - and perhaps off topic - but not really. Nitrate and PO4 are a food source. However - with corals - light is also a food source for the zooxanthellae inside of them. They are what use the nitrate and Phosphorous - and provide other nutrients for the coral. The key is - if they can outcompete the algae, etc, for this - there will be no problems - even with a nitrate of 0. A nitrate of 0 does not mean no nitrate is being produced - it only means it's being utilized immediately/quickly. Same with PO4 - So - for coral growth many people recommend a positive nitrate and color - which is true - in reality - a nitrate of 0 is not 'dangerous'.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you wish to take the gamble on whether your nitrate is stuck at 0, or being bottomed out because it's being consumed enough that every time you "gain" some, it'll be consumed? I'd rather be safe and go for 10-15 ppm

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you wish to take the gamble on whether your nitrate is stuck at 0, or being bottomed out because it's being consumed enough that every time you "gain" some, it'll be consumed? I'd rather be safe and go for 10-15 ppm
Would would be consuming it? Only have 3 corals.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes - I would take the gamble. Many people have nitrates below those levels - and more power to them - thats how their tanks work best. My comment only was my opinion - and as I said 'there are many ways to skin (the reefing) cat. IMHO - there is data that suggests if you want to grow coral fast (as in a coral farmer) - for example - a higher nitrate may lead to faster growth. In this particular case - I'm not concerned about the nitrate - nor would I dose it - since he has fish he is adding - with food he's going to be feeding. His nitrate will go up on its own *JMHO

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back