OP
Z

Zinda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What visibly happens to the coral as they die? Also, are they being fed? My main concern with the setup is that the light in there is basically a laser beam.
It has been a while because I gave up and hoped to do better in my new tank. I believe the corals just slowly wasted away. I did not do any feeding.

The clams were fine for a couple of weeks and then started gaping and died. I was spot feeding them some kind of microbiotic food every other day. Didn't see any parasitic snails on them (I've had them before in a previous tank so I know what to look for)

the light in there is basically a laser beam.

Do you mean based on the spectrum? or the PAR readings?

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clams and corals you're mostly concerning parasites related to the clam/coral themselves, as you don't want to spread parasitic snails making clams a non-option in your tank or have a flatworm/any bad hitchhiker get out of control even post dip. Clams idk much about dipping but I'd assume its probably a big no.

Ich/Velvet doesn't live on these animals at all, they have two free swimming stages; one where they're looking for a fish host, and one where they leave the host and free float to where ever (usually substrate) until they hatch and repeat the cycle, they don't anchor to inverts and inverts don't host them. Corals any marine velvet/ich will wash off after dips, acclimation, etc, your only worry is if you introduce their water into the tank and happen to put any of the free floating stages in (hence why its easy to cause an outbreak taking someone else's rock with a lot of holes), so a full 'water change' of your acclimate is a necessity if you wish to avoid that, but QTing them its less for those parasites as the risk is very small, and more looking out for the other stuff.

Other Inverts in general, such as shrimp, I find very unnecessary to QT cause its even harder for anything to stick to them and the full water change acclimation would suffice, it sounds worse for the shrimp to move multiple times with how sensitive inverts are to large swings. Some may still QT them but I've never experienced issues just putting inverts straight in, corals/live rock i've had several issues and non of them were ich and velvet.
Ummm....yeah this is not accurate at all. Tomonts definitely can attach to any hard surface.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm just bad at googling but I can't seem to find them ... Best url I found is: https://quarantinedfish.us/ which is not available. Are they still around??
Yes, they're still around:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while because I gave up and hoped to do better in my new tank. I believe the corals just slowly wasted away. I did not do any feeding.

The clams were fine for a couple of weeks and then started gaping and died. I was spot feeding them some kind of microbiotic food every other day. Didn't see any parasitic snails on them (I've had them before in a previous tank so I know what to look for)

Do you mean based on the spectrum? or the PAR readings?

On the par readings. The par is very low everywhere but right in the middle where it skyrockets.

I would recommend feeding the corals even if there is some nitrate. As for the clam, I would dose phytoplankton.

OP
OP
Z

Zinda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they're still around:
Wow! Bing let me down, they are basically invisible there but show up first on the list on google. Thanks!

OP
OP
Z

Zinda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the par readings. The par is very low everywhere but right in the middle where it skyrockets.

I would recommend feeding the corals even if there is some nitrate. As for the clam, I would dose phytoplankton.
The light is definitely highest in the middle, but nothing was put there. The corals were midtank around the edges. I'll try feeding them next time.

I definitely dosed phytoplankton on the clams

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light is definitely highest in the middle, but nothing was put there. The corals were midtank around the edges. I'll try feeding them next time.

I definitely dosed phytoplankton on the clams

Around the edges may have been too low in terms of par

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%

Back