How are you checking salinity?

kamike91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do. It’s great. Drop it in and you can monitor the results of water or salt additions in real time. Same for mixing acclimations and up limewater/kalkwasser.[emoji3]
I didn't know they had handheld ones. I'm only familiar with the apex controller and conductivity probe which I have. Could I use this in the same applications? I notice with my probe I have to let it sit for a while before I get a consistent reading.. Maybe because it's about 2 years old.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know they had handheld ones. I'm only familiar with the apex controller and conductivity probe which I have. Could I use this in the same applications?

I wouldn’t trust it. Hated mine. Terribly inaccurate/inconsistent and Neptune won’t even own up.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the vee gee stx3; I check it with acurasea and the vee gee solution every once in a while, had it for years never had to calibrate. My profilux conductivity probe seems to be way off..

smcquary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
s-l400.jpg

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a pinpont conductivity meter. I like it and I feel it is easier then a refractometer.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a pinpont conductivity meter. I like it and I feel it is easier then a refractometer.

I used one for a long time in parallel with my Orion 128. The main difference I noted was a slower response time to the Pinpoint (presumably the temperature correction changing slowly as the probe changed temp to adjust to the sample), but it always worked well.

As an aside, it doesn't have the range the Orion has to do things like RO/DI, but people do not get it for that reason.

So I agree it is a good device! (in full disclosure, I'll note that American marine gave it to me for no cost, but that doesn't change my opinion of it in any way)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back