How bad is 460 ppm potassium ?

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dosing potassium nitrate for a few months to test effect on sps colors. Tried to maintain no3 at 5 ppm. First the corals colored up nicely, and things looked great all of last month, but last week, I started noticing gradually loss of colors. All parameters tested within range, except for potassium which is 460 ppm (salifert). It measured 380 ppm before I started dosing KNO3
Would high levels of potassium cause sps browning? Any known or theorized adverse effects at this level?

Thanks for your advice.

Parameters are:
Salinity 35 ppt, temp 79 f, Alk 9.3, ca 450 ppm, mg 1300 ppm, no3 5 ppm, p04 < 0.01 ppm

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what level of potassium is a problem, but some folks have claimed it is an issue even in that range. That said, they have no proof that potassium was the culprit in their situation.

That said, definitely switch to sodium salts for dosing. :)

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dosing potassium nitrate for a few months to test effect on sps colors. Tried to maintain no3 at 5 ppm. First the corals colored up nicely, and things looked great all of last month, but last week, I started noticing gradually loss of colors. All parameters tested within range, except for potassium which is 460 ppm (salifert). It measured 380 ppm before I started dosing KNO3
Would high levels of potassium cause sps browning? Any known or theorized adverse effects at this level?

Thanks for your advice.

Parameters are:
Salinity 35 ppt, temp 79 f, Alk 9.3, ca 450 ppm, mg 1300 ppm, no3 5 ppm, p04 < 0.01 ppm

If I'm remembering this right, Justin Credible said he has taken his potassium levels as higher as 900 ppm. He says it really brings the bright green out of green colored corals.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for your advice.

Parameters are:

If I'm remembering this right, Justin Credible said he has taken his potassium levels as higher as 900 ppm. He says it really brings the bright green out of green colored corals.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've heard of people with problems in the upper 400's. Don't know which, if either, is correct.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting... thanks guys. What do you make of seachem vibrant sea salt which has potassium at 500 ppm; you would think that that would be within a safe range

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, 390 ppm of additional potassium added to seawater (bringing total near 790 ppm) is known to have effects on sea urchin larvae:

Induction of metamorphosis of larval echinoids (Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis and Echinarachnius parma) by potassium chloride (KCI)
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07924259.1994.9672420

Potassium chloride (KCI) added to filtered seawater induced larval metamorphosis of the regular urchin Strongylocentrotus droebachiensis and the irregular urchin Echinarachnius parma in the absence of any other stimulatory substance, although the sensitivities of these two species differed. Larvae of S. droebachiensis were not affected by concentrations below 80 mM (above normal seawater levels), whereas 10 mM was enough to induce significantly more larvae of E. parma to metamorphose than a filtered seawater control (used to assess spontaneous metamorphosis in the absence of any inductive cue). Relatively high concentrations of KCl (i.e., above 60 mM), which did not appear to adversely affect larvae of S. droebachiensis, were toxic to larvae of E. parma. Presently, some 15 species of marine invertebrates (representing five different phyla) have larvae which are known to react (i.e., settle, attach, or metamorphose) in response to elevated K+ (KCl) levels. K+ (KCl), which is thought to induce larval metamorphosis via depolarization of externally accessible cells (Baloun and Morse, 1984), appears to be fairly non species-specific as a metamorphic inducer.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would question if this is a species specific tank. Color type of coral specific tank. Coral type specific. Or what other inhabitants are in the tank with those corals. And how well those other species did?

I've seen other coral growers "force" corals to do many things. I've seen many threads of people 6 months after owning some designer coral wondering what they've done wrong because their corals don't look the same as when they first got them.

Not really for this section but is pushing levels of certain elements like zinc or in this case potassium to get different colors out of corals any better them dying them?

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following Justin's advice on the coral coloration seminar he gave with mr saltwater tank i gradually increased my potassium to it's current level of ~650 ppm. I did that over a period of 1 month with a medical grade infusion pump all while monitoring potassium every 2-3 days. By doing so i noticed what was advertised more vibrant coloration.

I'm not saying everyone should do that but I'm saying that 650 in my specific case was not detrimental. Just wanted to add this piece of information to the pot.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following Justin's advice on the coral coloration seminar he gave with mr saltwater tank i gradually increased my potassium to it's current level of ~650 ppm. I did that over a period of 1 month with a medical grade infusion pump all while monitoring potassium every 2-3 days. By doing so i noticed what was advertised more vibrant coloration.

I'm not saying everyone should do that but I'm saying that 650 in my specific case was not detrimental. Just wanted to add this piece of information to the pot.

Can you describe what is in the tank (corals, fish, snails, etc.) and what exactly you observed?

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shrimp, snails, crabs, lps and sps. I have a coral beauty angel, two clowns and a hawk fish.

The main difference i saw was that the vibrance of the pink birds nest, and my various stylos was increased. They were a little washed out and their colors became more vibrant. The green on a candy cane also become bolder. That happened over a period of a week or so (initial potassium 380ppm and after a little over a week it was about 500ppm then i pushed the envelope higher but at a slower pace). From the lps my green hammer was a little more perked up i think, if that makes sense but this could be a biased observation.

In the months that I've had elevated potassium i have not seen any other differences either positive or negative.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All parameters tested within range, except for potassium which is 460 ppm (salifert).

My potassium is also currently higher than I'd like, around 500. It's not awful but I cannot figure out the source. It's not the salt I'm using. The only additive I'm using that appears to have any K in it is SeaChem Reef Plus, but according to a SeaChem rep, dosing at the normal amounts should have no effect on measurable potassium levels. I've tested a few other things I use occasionally (bag water that pods come in, CoralRx solution, etc), but none show elevated levels. I have wondered whether BSI cyanoacrylate frag glue could be contaminated with excess levels of K, but have no way to check this. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

i gradually increased my potassium to it's current level of ~650 ppm.

If I may ask, what are you using to measure potassium concentrations above 470? Do you have a high range test kit or meter, or are you diluting a sample and using e.g. the Salifert or Red Sea test?

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the salifert kit with 30% dilution. I make a "stock" sample of 7cc aquarium water and 3cc RODI and then use that in my test. I have a table that correlates the raw reading to my diluted reading.

I have found the salifert kit to be the most straight forward and easy test to use.

|sCRIBe|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit has a high range in the 800-1200 like they are saying they have?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back