Votes: 7 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never ordered from them just because ive heard bad things. The online store for me that was solid as far as packaging and condition of fish has been bluezooaquatics. However I've still lost a couple from them. I really need to try and get fish in person, see that they are eating and make it so coming home isn't too stressful. But I'm stuck with like $150 in store credits idk what to do with. Saltwaterfish.com was very disappointing ime. Packaging left a lot to be desired and only 1 out of 3 fish lasted more than a day in qt. They gave me a store credit that after all the fees doesn't help much, you can't use store credit there towards shipping. So I'd also say buy in person if you can. Some lfs will do requests when ordering one of mine keeps a clipboard out you just write what you want and they call you when it's in.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do you think with covid getting better liveaquaria is getting better
It's nothing to do with Covid, although I'm sure that didn't help. They'd been going downhill already. Besides- Covid doesn't make people ignore obvious signs of illness on a fish from the part of their site that they're claiming sells the "healthiest fish anywhere".

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA and PETCO are now owned by a wholesaler called ETROPICALFISH. They are originially from SRI LANKA and their sub office is in California. They collect and ship from Sri Lanka to US and there seems to be a lot of hit and miss on fish and health.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gotten several nice tangs from Divers Den (only would do a wysiwyg fish and not an LA fish)

4 were great and still are, one Angel was obviously not eating for a while.

Get a healthy looking fish from divers den, and so long as shipping is ok and you QT you’ll do fine

Djordan719

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will buy from Divers Den. I haven’t had any bad experiences with Divers Den. That being said, I’ve had issues both times I’ve ordered from LiveAquaria. The 2nd time they never even sent some of the livestock. When I contacted their support team, they told me they would ship the items (CUC) when they were available. Long story short and 2 conversations with customer support later I never got the livestock or a refund. After a while I just didn’t bother contacting them anymore and just took the L.

That’s my personal experience. Results may vary. I don’t consider myself an impatient or unreasonable consumer. This was probably 3-4 months ago.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 years or so when I was in the hobby they used to be incredible. I mean just incredible. The service. The packaging. The fish. It was unbelievable. THE place to buy from.

They are but a shadow of what they used to be. It makes me sad for the animals and for the loss of such an institution.

The reason their prices are so high is so they can accommodate all the losses and still make a profit. How any human can ship helpless animals in such a way is beyond me.

Wether you buy from LA or Divers Den, your money still supports this institution and the demise of the helpless animals. Stop supporting them altogether. Pass the word along that they do not care for their livestock. Let them crumble. Support the businesses who treat their livestock humanely.

It is our responsibility as hobbyists to be advocates for the animals we harbor.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horrible and i used them for MANY years previously, before foster and smith even!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get a healthy looking fish from divers den, and so long as shipping is ok and you QT you’ll do fine
I did that, and I got an underweight, visibly sick fish. You don't have any way to tell when the photo was taken, is the problem.

Besides, there's definitely something to be said about not supporting a company that's stopped making any effort for the welfare of the animals they sell.

lazyd00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever they started that ridiculous box fee is when i stopped bothering with live aquaria. The fee also counted towards the taxable amount as well...

neo1738

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird I've bought I think 11 fish from them all but one came in great condition and have done well. Most recently a mandarin goby which is doing great (wild caught and I feed it pods so can't comment on that part). Seems hit or miss.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had some bad experiences over the past 2 years but I think they have addressed some of the complaints.

I only order from DD and my last two orders had much better packing. Two butterfly fish (June 24) came in giant bags triple or quadruple packed and in an actual stylo cooler. It was a little thin so it did crack but not bad. This was much better than those open foam bags. The fish were very healthy and ate like gangbusters the next day.
This was a credit used from two dead orders so I had no choice but eventually get at least one more order.

Next order was July 8th. I was very happy with this, although the box wouldn't insulate from cold it was well done and firmly packed. The picks below contained two 6" freshwater angelfish.

I also pick everything up at my Fedex hub so nothing ever gets in a drivers hands. The orders are ready to pick up at 9am. Same with any vendor that uses UPS. I pick everything up at the hubs.

My plan and advice is to only order during good weather conditions. In other words, I can only trust LA from April through October. You also have to do your own research on the weather for the coming week and if it's too hot or cold don't order anything. This last point is on you/me, don't set yourself up.

This plan is a good idea for any vendor but maybe you can extend the window a bit to March through the second week of Nov. With good vendors that pack well you can sneak in an order if you see a 35 degree or up window after the Christmas holidays.

live aquaria.jpg

live aquara 2.jpg

Homey D. Clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wont Buy liveing creatures from Anywhere the Animal is not number one..Id rather pay A Double price to someone who Cares and loves the Critters.I tend to stick with one or Two places i trust.
What places do you trust? I’m just starting again in the hobby after many years and feel exactly the way you do.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 28.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back