How can I fill my ato reservoir easier?!

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 gallon ato reservoir and want to fill it easier than it is now.. I tried funnels but it’s too tight and using a pump is annoying and redundant as I have 5 gallons in a bucket to gallon in the ato.
Any ideas?

image.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 5 gallon ato reservoir and want to fill it easier than it is now.. I tried funnels but it’s too tight and using a pump is annoying and redundant as I have 5 gallons in a bucket to gallon in the ato.
Any ideas?

It sounds like you need an ATO for your ATO! jk

Would a bucket, a small pump, and a hose with a valve work?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you need an ATO for your ATO! jk

Would a bucket, a small pump, and a hose with a valve work?
Lol I really do!!
can You elaborate a little? I can plumb/ make something probably just like I said it’s kinda annoying to then use a pump to fill my ato lol. I did buy a little jug today with a water spout on it but of course it went sooo slow.. then I said screw this and took the cap off and flooded my stand! Lol happy Sunday funday !! Get the fans and towels:p

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah easiest would be to pump it in with small pump. Or if your rodi is close enough-you could drill a small hole for a 1/4" float valve and connect rodi directly to that to top off your ato.
Could run redline in attic if close or just run it to the top off tank to refill then put the line away.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a simple 1 gallon tupperware (or similar) pitcher. I have two, very useful.
Sometimes simple is better... silly question but got any pics?

Zbryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a 5 gallon bucket with a uni seal or bulkhead out of the side with a ball valve w/ a barb and hose. Stack the bucket on top of something (like another bucket) put the hose in the ato and open the ball valve.

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option-since you only need 5g if you can find one of these that fits your space

They are narrow and you could get 2, and just swap them out as one empties then get other refilled

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What type of container do you have your RO top off water in (brute container, water jug, 5 gallon bucket, etc.) before you add it to your ATO?

atnet360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option-since you only need 5g if you can find one of these that fits your space

They are narrow and you could get 2, and just swap them out as one empties then get other refilled
This is close to what I was thinking. I've wondered where I could find something like a gas can that would be safe for water. That would allow you to easily pour water into the ATO container without spills. Just haven't been able to find anything like that yet.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have a 5 gal. ATO reservoir I think the most logical, fastest and cleanest way to do it, aside from running an RO/DI line on a float valve, would be to use a 5-6 gallon bucket, a Harbor Freight $10 pump and some tubing. If my math is correct it would literally take you less than two minutes to transfer the water and less than $20. Not sure why you have an aversion to a transfer pump. Pumps make everything easier when dealing with fluids. KISS.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removable lid on the one you got. That way you could dump the water in.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or a 5 gallon bucket with pump and hose. Fill this and then pump into your reservoir.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s how I have it set up. Top mount float valve on top of reservoir. And a 1/4”to 3/8” plastic tubing adapter. I run 3/8” tubing from the r/o to the reservoir to reduce friction loss cause its kind of far.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removable lid on the one you got. That way you could dump the water in.
This is what I use. I am actually open to the thought of getting a bigger setup however! I don’t have any room in my stand but perhaps I could squeeze it in somewhere else around the stand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use an RODI system? Why not run it straight to the ATO reservoir?
My ro/di is in my basement, 4 levels down. lol more of a hassle to figure all that out vs just carrying some buckets

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back