How can I fill my ato reservoir easier?!

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ro/di is in my basement, 4 levels down. lol more of a hassle to figure all that out vs just carrying some buckets

Carrying buckets up 4 stories doesnt sound like much fun either haha. Is there a sink on the third floor that you could bring a 1/4 hose out from when you fill the ATO then tuck back under when you're done? Or even have a 1/4" tube routed along the baseboard/under the carpet.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carrying buckets up 4 stories doesnt sound like much fun either haha. Is there a sink on the third floor that you could bring a 1/4 hose out from when you fill the ATO then tuck back under when you're done? Or even have a 1/4" tube routed along the baseboard/under the carpet.
I originally hooked my ato up to my sink in my bathroom and made ro/ like that. However then I flooded my bathroom and said let’s do this in the basement lol. So then if it overflows it’s fine because it’s cement and there’s a whole that I put the output into ( a sump of my house) lol and that’s just that.

if there was like a mini ro/ unit then that would be great for life lol just attach it to the back of a cabinet! Someone in charge of production of stuff get on it please!

As of now I am pretty much out of luck with making water up here / it wouldn’t really work anyways because I usually make 20 gallons at a time (set my ro on and forget about it for a few hours then panic and realize it’s still not finished).

bryanfuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally hooked my ato up to my sink in my bathroom and made ro/ like that. However then I flooded my bathroom and said let’s do this in the basement lol. So then if it overflows it’s fine because it’s cement and there’s a whole that I put the output into ( a sump of my house) lol and that’s just that.

if there was like a mini ro/ unit then that would be great for life lol just attach it to the back of a cabinet! Someone in charge of production of stuff get on it please!

As of now I am pretty much out of luck with making water up here / it wouldn’t really work anyways because I usually make 20 gallons at a time (set my ro on and forget about it for a few hours then panic and realize it’s still not finished).

Sounds like it would be worth it to set up a float sensor in the ATO container to shut off flow and some emergency cut offs that cut off the flow of water through a 1/4" tube when water is detected! Both of those solutions are relatively cheap too

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I put mine outside the tank. But then again, it’s near a corner so the ATO is out of site
I wish I was that smart / my corner wasn’t cluttered in wires!!

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I have a 5 gallon ato reservoir and want to fill it easier than it is now.. I tried funnels but it’s too tight and using a pump is annoying and redundant as I have 5 gallons in a bucket to gallon in the ato.
Any ideas?

image.jpg
I bought an innovative marine ATO reservoir. It has a drawer you pull out to refill it. It's nice and competitively priced

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a reservoir in an upper floor near the R/O with a float valve as I showed above would work. I leave my R/O running till I get back home and the reservoir has never overflown or float submerged. Enough pressure to stop any R/O from producing. Even R/O’s with pressure tanks and booster pumps don’t force water through. Another option is booster pump or pressure tank in the basement and increase tubing size from 1/4” to 3/8” to reduce head pressure and friction loss. Still, out of the basement imo is best, fighting gravity especially with your legs and 5 gals of water ain’t no joke!

Xandernfs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a little pump that I got from Ace Hardware. You can get the same thing HERE. It works great and has made water changes easier too.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my RODI into a 5 gal bucket, then set it on a chair higher than my ATO reservoir, remove the tube from the end of my vacuum hose and use it to siphon from the bucket into the reservoir.

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dedicated 5g bucket with a small pump attached to the bottom. Fill my 5g bucket with RODI walk it to the tank and pump it into my reservoir. I do this once every 10 days in the winter and every 7 in the summer.

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a water station and plumbed it to my ATO reservoir with 1/2 inch tubing. I designed my station so the freshwater tank is above the ATO reservoir. RODI water is gravity fed. When I need to fill it I just have to turn a valve and wait. I also ran a line from my saltwater holding tank and can pump new water straight into the sump after a WC. I don't have to use buckets anymore at all since I have a utility sink right next to the tank as well. I just siphon right down the drain. It's pretty awesome

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if u have the materials... but click my article if u dont want to go with any sort of float valve stop switch from your rodi and/or run tubes all over the house..

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is:

Should see a YouTube video of me using it as well.

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you reach it with this?

Crotalus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a plastic 55 gallon barrel as my RO/DI storage outdoors. I put a spigot in the side of it. When I fill my 10 gallon ATO I just put a bucket under the spigot and open it. I drop a cheap pond pump in the bucket and it pumps through a 1/2 plastic line to the ATO. The ATO is about 16 feet away. No spills, no carrying.

Ecvernon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does your 5 gallon rodi last?
I don't have a 4 story run like you, however I run a 100 feet of rodi tubing to a 10 gallon reservoir every 3-4 days to refill.

15759972255033744557784480517498.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%

Back